Friday, February 17, 2006

Winter Blast!!!

That's the headline in the news reports around here today. There is the threat of ice this weekend, so the news folks are all in a tizzy to get everyone worked up about it. They live for this kind of thing. Although, I guess you have to admit that a little ice pretty much does shut everything down around here, so maybe they aren't so crazy after all. And if you're from somewhere up north and you think you know all about driving on ice - I don't believe you. Snow is one thing, driving on snow is a talent that can be developed with practice. Driving on ice is pretty much impossible! Anyway, it looks like it may not be as bad as they thought it would be yesterday. Hey, at least if it ices it will give me an excuse to spend some quality time at home in front of the television. Oh wait, I do that everyday already. Nevermind!

I wanted to go for a walk late this afternoon to see just how cold it was. I bundled up in my coat, gloves, hat, and scarf for a walk around the neighborhood, and it was pretty cold but not unbearable. I could have used some long johns as my legs were a little cold wearing just jeans. It did take me a while to truly warm up when I got home. Yesterday at the airport the high was 85 degrees! Today it was about 40 in the morning and it got colder all day. Tomorrow the high is supposed to be 33.

As I was walking today I got to thinking about something. I live near a jail, and I see people walking home from the jail sometimes. I wonder if anyone got arrested yesterday afternoon wearing shorts and a T-shirt, spent the night in jail, and then got released today and had to walk home in the 25 degree wind chill? Boy would that suck.

7 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

Your funny JC. It's just like the people I see in the airports around here, getting off planes in the winter wearing flip-flops and shorts. WTF?

It's damn cold here and your right, no one knows how to drive on ice, esp. black ice which scares the crap out of this transplanted Cali girl. I do love a good ice storm though ~ so damn pretty.

2/18/2006 6:05 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

People do get in tizzy's and live for that stuff. It makes me insane when we'll have a threat of a severe thunderstorm and people here will go to the Wal-Mart and buy all the water, etc. as if it's the apocolypse.

2/18/2006 10:35 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

It's supposed to be 20 here tonight and it's really windy which means it will feel like zero. I have been thinking about the homeless people who live near my work downtown. It must be so terrible for them right now. They hang out at the coffee shop below my work, trying to get warm. I am ashamed to say that while I feel sorry for them and want them to get warm, I avoid sitting on the couches and chairs in the coffee shop because because of who was just sitting in them. The smell is a bit strong.

2/18/2006 11:21 PM  
Blogger buffi said...

Ugh, it hasn't gotten above 20 up here for DAYS. I'm ready to be back in Texas. As for driving, even if you did know how to drive on ice, none of the other yahoos do, so it's best just to stay inside. This is why I am more of a summer gal!

2/19/2006 8:19 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I can't F'ING believe it was a solid sheet of ice here AND president's day AND I had to be on time to work.. WTF??? TM sucks!!

Maybe people think you're a repeat offender?

2/20/2006 3:27 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Repeat offender? Huh?

Is that a joke of some sort?

2/20/2006 4:32 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

_____!!!

2/21/2006 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home