Sunday, February 19, 2006

Cowboy Junkies

This will be hard to believe, but it's true: Last night I did actually leave the house. I got off my ass to go see the Cowboy Junkies in concert. I would classify myself as a casual fan. My first exposure to Cowboy Junkies was their cover of 'Sweet Jane' on the soundtrack to 'Natural Born Killers'. I've enjoyed that song since I first heard it, but I didn't have any of their other CDs until about 3 years ago. At that time I picked up a Best of Cowboy Junkies CD, the obtaining of which was a bit interesting (at least to me), I've got some details about that below*. And, I have to say that I have probably only listened to that CD about 4 times even though I like most of it. In any case, I'm always up for a good concert, it was cheap, and I've kicked myself for passing up some other concerts over the last few years, so I decided to go. Luckily the bad weather held off until today.

I thought it was a really good show. Margo Timmins' voice sounds every bit as amazing in person, if not more so. The band was very solid too. Their latest album is a collection of (mostly) covers, and they did quite a few of them. They did 2 Springsteen songs, a Bob Dylan song, and a version of U2's 'One' which was pretty amazing. I'm now interested in tracking down some of their albums. I think I would have enjoyed the show more if I knew more of the songs, but overall Cowboy Junkies get the JC seal of approval.

* I found this CD at a place called the Unclaimed Baggage Center in Scottsboro, Alabama. Unclaimed Baggage is about an hour from where my grandmother lives, and I had heard about it for years. I finally went there with my parents when we were in Alabama for Christmas one year. Supposedly they get all the lost luggage when airlines are unable to track down the owners. They don't know what they're going to get until they open the luggage. There's an awful lot of junk there. Their CDs were not alphabetized or sorted in any way, so I had to sort through 700 pounds of crap to find anything good. All of the CDs were $3.50, so I picked up some stuff I might usually pass over. Anyway, I saw that CJ CD and I figured for $3.50 it was worth a shot. I sometimes wonder who owned that CD before it was lost. Did they miss it? Did they get another copy? Were they glad it was gone? I guess I'll never know!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

Good for you! I would never go to a concert alone, I wish I had the courage to do so. I love that Natural Born Killers soundtrack ~ have it and haven't listened in years but now I'll have to pull it out.

2/20/2006 6:39 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I love Sweet Jane.. I would have loved to have gone to that concert!!

For some reason I think of the Cowboy Junkies when I think of Mazzy Star, although I MUCH prefer Mazzy Star.

I'm glad you got out!!

2/20/2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Kiki - Who said I went by myself?!

OK, I went by myself.


Holli - it's so funny you mentioned Mazzy Star, on Saturday I had that 'Fade Into You' song playing in my head, I had to remind myself that that wasn't who I was going to see! I guess the singers do have a slight similarity in their sound.

2/20/2006 4:18 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

I haven't heard anyone mention Mazzy Star in forever!

Glad you got out!

I love the new version of "One" by Mary J. Blige and Bono.

2/20/2006 5:33 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

Didn't mean to imply that you went alone but since you didn't mention anyone going with you, figured you went solo. You seem the type that's comfortable enough with yourself to go do stuff like concerts alone. Not me.....

2/20/2006 8:50 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Kiki - no offense taken! I do sometimes feel like a dork when I do stuff alone, but I'd rather go alone than miss it!

2/21/2006 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home