Friday, March 03, 2006

Oscar the Grouch

I'm pretty psyched that the Oscars are this weekend, I watch them every year. I'm not so sure how Jon Stewart will be as host, though. I like him on the Daily Show, but right now I just can't picture him as Oscar host. I thought Chris Rock was really funny last year. In fact, I can still remember 2 of his jokes and I suck at remembering jokes! My favorite was "I saw The Passion of the Christ.......not that funny." Another good one was "And now introducing the only woman to successfully breast feed an apple, Gwenyth Paltrow!" It was just funny to me how irreverent he was with all those people who take themselves so damn seriously. I love Sean Penn as an actor, he may be the best there is right now, but he got so uppity over that joke about Jude Law. Lighten up dude!

I know that Whoopi Goldberg is a beating to a lot of people, but I even enjoyed when she hosted. And I think Billy Crystal is normally somewhat of a beating too, but he was great as an Oscar host. Steve Martin was also very good. I know everyone always holds up David Letterman as the worst Oscar host ever, but I really can't remember too much about that year except the "Oprah, Uma" thing, and I thought that was funny. I guess we'll just have to see if Jon can pull it off.

As far as the awards, I haven't seen as many of the movies that were nominated this time. I've seen 3 of the 5 nominated for Best Picture. I'm guessing that 'Brokeback Mountain' (gorilla) will win Best Picture, although that's one of the ones I haven't seen. I have decided to wait for the DVD to come out since it is supposed to be out on 4/4. My old fogey self doesn't get out to the movie theater as much these days! I was pretty surprised that 'Crash' was nominated for Best Picture - I really didn't care for that movie. If 'Capote' won I wouldn't complain. I did just get 'Walk the Line' from Netflix, so I'm hoping to view that in the next 2 days to see if the acting noms were deserved. Well, at least if the show is completely wheels-off, it will make good blogging material!

7 Comments:

Blogger buffi said...

Nope, haven't seen a one of 'em. I cannot even tell you the last time I set foot in a movie theater. Tonight we watched "Racing Stripes" with the kids. That was cute. Not Oscar worthy, though.

Next year, maybe we can all meet at my house & watch the Oscars! Hey! I'll be equidistant from McKinney & OKC!!! Plus? I'll be very desperate for adult interaction by then.

3/03/2006 9:56 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Woo hoo! Party at Buffi's!

And I'm no adult. Just ask Holli.

3/03/2006 10:35 PM  
Blogger tonymyles said...

I can't believe Fantastic Four wasn't nominated for Best Picture.

It's all fixed, I tell ya...

3/04/2006 2:57 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I haven't seen "Capote" but I have seen the others and it's going to be interesting. I thought "Brokeback" was really good. I mean it's Ang Lee for god's sake and it has a bit of the "Last Picture Show" feel to it. I know lots of people thought it was slow but I loved it. Of course, I like "Crash" as well but not enough to think it deserves an Oscar.

3/05/2006 11:49 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Good point, Tony!

Michelle, I really want to see Brokeback now.

And I did watch Walk The Line yesterday, and I thought it was really good and that both of the actors deserved their nominations, especially Joaquin Phoenix. He good!

3/05/2006 8:42 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I know I commented on this damned post!??!

Brokeback Mountain Gorilla!!

I go to JC for all my eye problems.. he's the eye guy!

3/06/2006 1:50 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Karen - Hey, how'd you know about that? I think you should see Crash and decide for yourself, and I would like to hear what you think. Recap is on the way!

Holli - you don't mess around with eye stuff!!

3/06/2006 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home