Saturday, April 29, 2006

Waiting For The Happy Pills To Kick In

I've been out of sorts lately. Very out of sorts. In fact, I'm depressed. And I'm not just throwing that term around. I mean cain't sleep, cain't eat, don't want to get out of bed clinically depressed. In fact, I haven't wanted to do much of anything the last few days. I went to the doctor last Monday and asked for some chemical assistance.

It isn't easy for me to write about this. I don't know if it's some stupid macho thing, or just my thing, but to some degree I don't like admitting that I need help with this. I want to be strong enough to just suck it up and deal, but I know that's not realistic. I should know better, I have dealt for a large part of my life with migraines, so I've dealt with people that thought I was faking feeling like shit to get out of something because there was no obvious or physical injury. Why should this be any different? I don't know, for some reason there is some kind of stigma in our society associated with depression, when there really shouldn't be. And not only that, but one reason I was keen to get the pills was because I took them on another occasion about 9 years ago, and they helped me tremendously. I'm hoping that is the case again. So far I don't feel any better, but I remember that it took 2 or 3 weeks last time to start feeling better. For now I just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other...

5 Comments:

Blogger Heidi R. said...

on no...so sorry to hear that u are not doing so well. I do hope that u A) get help or B) psyche yourself out of your funk....either way, what i am trying to say is that i hope u can find some happiness soon :)

4/30/2006 1:26 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I'm sorry - I hope either the happy pills or happier circumstances change things really soon. You know I know how you feel.

4/30/2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

I'm sorry your down JC, and you're right, the meds take 2-3 weeks to kick in. I hope they work and I'm glad you were brave enough to reach out and get help. It is such a stigma in our lives about meds and depression and therapy, but you've reached beyond all that to protect and take care of yourself.

4/30/2006 2:34 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Thanks for the support everyone. I know I will feel better at some point, and it helped to 'talk' about it.

5/01/2006 3:33 PM  
Blogger buffi said...

I live in the same world, hon. I'm so sorry that youfeel this way. But, I;m glad you recognized it and weren't to proud or hard headed to get help.

Hang in there. It does get better!

here's a question for you...Why is there a handicap symbol next to my word ver box? Does this mean Blogger thinks I'm retarded??

5/01/2006 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home