Saturday, September 10, 2005

Rebuilding New Orleans

In the wake of the hurricane, there has been lots of talk about whether New Orleans should be rebuilt or not. I came across a good article that basically says that we don't have a choice. You can read it here. I thought this article was very interesting, these type of thoughts hadn't really occurred to me.

In a related note, tonight as I was going to get dinner, I passed the old Wal Mart here in town where they are housing a number of hurricane evacuees. I noticed that they have rigged up the old garden center as a recreation area with basketball hoops and things to play with. There was a young child riding a big wheel around, and someone in a wheelchair rolling around. Kind of nice to see that they have a place to let off some steam. Of course, it's hotter than Hades during the day out there since they removed the roof of the garden center, but at least it will be cooling off soon.

I saw on the local news that the Red Cross is saying that they have plenty of used clothes here in Dallas - they showed a huge warehouse full of clothes. They are asking for new underwear and socks at this time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

JC,
Thanks for letting us picture what's going on with some of the evacuees. Some are coming to Portland soon. It sounds silly to say but it's like they are long lost family that we don't know real well but are rooting for as though they are a vital part of our family.

9/10/2005 11:37 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I know what you mean, I think everyone is pulling for them.

9/11/2005 3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home