Saturday, September 10, 2005

Gas Man

I've really been trying to reduce the amount of gas that I use in my car lately. I was averaging about 29 miles per gallon in my car. I have started keeping closer track of my tire pressure, minimizing use of the air conditioner, and trying to drive the speed limit. Around here this time of year, eliminating the AC entirely is not an option, so I have been turning it off for as long as I can stand, and then I will turn it on for a while to cool off. At least lately I haven't needed it on my way to work in the mornings. The speed limit thing is a little tough for me, because I like to drive fast. It all seems to be helping, on my last 2 tanks I have been averaging about 32 miles per gallon. Doesn't sound like much, but I drive 27,000 miles a year so if I go from 29 mpg to 32 mpg and gas costs $2.80 per gallon, that saves $244 a year, which comes out to $20 a month. Sounds pretty good to me.

One thing I have noticed is that some people get really pissed off when they get passed by a Toyota Corolla. I'll pass someone going really slowly, and then when they figure out that they got passed by a Corolla they'll speed up a bunch so they can get back in front of me. Kind of funny. And I've been wondering why no one is talking about lowering the speed limit on the highway back to 55 miles an hour. It would save a lot of gas, and that's why they did it back in the seventies. It really doesn't save you that much time to drive 10 miles an hour faster either. Of course, I guess the concept of national sacrifice is pretty much nonexistent these days, so maybe that explains it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

JC,
Perhaps you are my evil twin that was separated from at birth. Or, maybe I'm the evil one. Either way, I have been doing exactly the same thing, alternating the air conditioner on and off and not using it at all on the way to work. Last week that was really difficult but luckily this week it's cool here. I am also having a very hard time driving the speed limit. I am a speed demon and it's killing me but I really am trying to back off a little. The tire pressure thing is a good reminder. I need to check mine. I did replace my air filter though and that seemed to make a difference as well.

9/10/2005 11:40 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I think we all know who the evil one is here ;)

The air filter will make a difference, it might also help the pickup.

I totally nerded out on the tire pressure. I got tired of paying for air at gas stations, so I bought a small compressor that I carry around in my car so I can add air if I need to. It is also good for making sure the spare has enough air because those things lose air after a while. It also saved me once when I got a flat.

9/11/2005 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home