Saturday, September 10, 2005

Charlie and the Constant Gardener

Today I was all psyched up to see "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" on an IMAX screen. I've been wanting to do this for weeks, but the timing has never worked out until now because it's only showing at 12:30PM and 9:30 PM. So I get to the theater, which is about 30 miles from my house, about 30 minutes early and walk up to the ticket window only to see a 'Sold Out' sign on the showtimes. Shit! I stand there looking like a dumbass for a minute or two, and then I think "Maybe they just made a mistake" and I ask the cashier if CATCF is really sold out. She tells me that there is some kind of problem with the projector and that they have cancelled the 12:30 show. I'm a little discombobulated at first since I had planned this so carefully, but that's life sometimes. So, I went to see "The Constant Gardener" instead. It was good, but I found it a little on the slow side. As a sidenote, this theater had special pricing for all the movies due to 'Katrina Relief'. All movies were $4, which would have been quite the steal on the IMAX movie which normally costs $11(!). I'm not sure exactly how charging $4 for a movie that usually costs $5.50 helps people affected by the hurricane (maybe they are donating the extra), but what the heck.

On the way home I was stymied in my effort to buy Season 1 of 'Lost' on DVD for $33.99 at Fry's (they were sold out), but I was not stymied in my effort to buy my yearly 12 pack of Oktoberfest beer. Why is Oktoberfest in September anyway? I could probably find the answer somewhere on the internet, but I've already got a buzz so I don't want to.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I can't believe you had to drive all the way into the city to see a show. Where the hell do you live? Do you get supplies like once a month and subsist on the beef jerky you make out in your shed, in the meantime? What did the city folk thing of you driving into their parts?

9/10/2005 11:44 PM  
Blogger JC said...

That's pretty funny!

McKinney is about 35 miles north of downtown Dallas, about 23 or so from the Dallas city limit.

I can go to the picture show here in town, but if I want an art house or IMAX I have to go to town. There's a nice multiplex (a little bit of an oxymoron) about 10 miles from my house.

I do sometimes feel like I'm 'going to town' on the weekends. If I want to go to Whole Foods or White Rock Coffee, I have to kind of plan my itinerary so I can hit several places while I'm there. Luckily the Kroger here in town has a pretty good organic section, so that's where I do my main grocery shopping. I only get the really weird stuff at Whole Foods.

Oh, and judging from some of their reactions, the city folk don't like it one bit!

9/11/2005 3:47 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

The city folk probably see you coming from miles away and hide their women and children.

9/12/2005 12:18 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Anne - I haven't really been to Market Street since I got interested in organic stuff, I'll have to check it out. At Kroger I can get my milk, yogurt, bananas, a few other produce items, and they have a good selection of frozen stuff. I like Central Market too, I used to go there all the time but I have probably been only about twice in the last year. I just went there on Labor Day to get some Hatch chiles, but I didn't really have time to look around too much while I was there. Whole Foods is more convenient for me based on the areas where I usually end up on the weekends.

9/13/2005 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home