Monday, August 29, 2005

The Glory That Was Rome?

I watched the first episode of the new HBO series 'Rome' last night. My initial reaction was that it was OK and that I think I need to see more before making a decision. It's a little tough to jump into a show with this many characters and get your bearings. The last sequences of this first show did do a good job of setting up the conflict that will propel the show through the rest of the season.

Not that I'm a historian or anything, but the well-groomed pubes of some of the female characters seemed a bit anachronistic. I mean, if people weren't shaving their privates in the 1970's do you really think they would have in 52 B.C.? Although, after thinking about this I have to admit that most Roman men seem to have been clean shaven based on statues and coinage from the era, so what the hell do I know? Damn, I think about some weird shit.

Speaking of weird, on Friday I saw another lady driving one of those damn carts in a fairly congested parking lot. What the hell is wrong with these people? Don't they know how dangerous and annoying this is!? At least this one was not hooked up to an oxygen tank. These people would make excellent candidates for the Darwin Awards, unfortunately most of them are old enough to have already spread their seed far and wide.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger n/a said...

Actually, hair removal has a long and distinguished history in the Middle East and Asia. It's highly likely that there were plenty of carefully waxed pubes in ancient Rome.

8/30/2005 9:48 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

okay - i had to block this post because i tivoed rome and haven't started it yet.. we need to get our programming in synch.

8/30/2005 10:32 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Dino Mom - Somebody should write a doctoral thesis on hair removal in ancient times - perverted bloggers want to know! I kept thinking of razors and knives, I forgot about waxing. They would definitely have had waxing technology.

Holli - This post is pretty much spoiler free, but if I do post any spoilers in the future I will try to give fair warning.

8/31/2005 8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home