Sunday, August 21, 2005

Busy Weekend

Due to reasons beyond my control I was not able to watch the Six Feet Under finale tonight, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Grr...

For the second weekend in a row I had an uncharacteristically busy weekend. On Saturday morning I saw the movie 'Broken Flowers', which I enjoyed a lot. It is another good Bill Murray performance in the vein of 'Lost In Translation'. It is definitely not for people who want their story gift-wrapped and served on a silver platter - there is a lot of ambiguity in this film. Good stuff, though.

Saturday night I had a rare outing with some friends. These friends are usually pretty lame and never want to go out, so this was kind of cool. We were trying to decide where to go and I threw out Tipperary Inn since I wanted to try their food. They bought it! I definitely wanted to get my drink on this time. For food I ordered the fish and chips (yeah, I know they're French fries, but what the hell). A couple of people ordered the 'bangers and mash' which looked pretty good. For those who don't know 'bangers' are sausage. There was a good 'Arrested Development' tie-in there where I got to say "Do you want a banger in the mouth?" in the Mrs. Featherbottom voice, so that was kind of cool. I started out with a lighter beer but then switched to Guinness. At around 8 a band started to play. It was 3 old Irish guys with a fiddle, a banjo, and a guitar. They handed out a songbook and people were encouraged to sing along with the songs. I thought it was kind of funny that on the front of the songbook it says you can hire these guys to play weddings, wakes, parties, bar mitvahs, and circumcisions. I tried to rock the Irish accent but I think it came out sounding more Australian. Mrs. Featherbottom put in another cameo too. Maybe it was the beer, but I can't remember the last time I felt as happy as I did on the way home last night. I've learned not to analyze things too much when I feel good, to just enjoy it, so that's what I did. I think it's good for the soul to get a little pissed (drunk) every once in a while and bark at the moon.

Today there was the movie (which I like more the more I think about it) and then shopping for some new sheets, and then a meeting that I had to go to. I'm hoping at least one day next weekend can be a lazy one!

2 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

Did you say if this Tip place is in McKinney??

I loved Lost in Translation.. I love the Air song they play at the end..

I didn't spoil the end of SFU for you.. but I had to immediately come to your blog to see if you had seen it and what you thought.

8/22/2005 12:31 PM  
Blogger JC said...

The Tip is in Dallas. I think the coolest bar in McKinney is probably The Londoner, which is not bad. They always get low scores on the restaurant inspections though so I'm not sure about eating there. Anne, what are the 2 bars you were thinking of? Is one of the them the McKinney Tavern?

I liked Lost in Translation a lot.

Thanks for not spoiling SFU, I am going to watch it tonight! I am really excited to see it after what you wrote.

8/22/2005 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home