Monday, August 15, 2005

Mattress Man

About a month and a half ago I noticed that when I woke up in the morning I had terrible neck pain. At first I chalked it up to my pillow, so I switched to my Tempur-pedic pillow to see if that would help. I normally prefer a much larger pillow, but the Tempur-pedic is lower to the bed so I thought it would help. And it did until about a week ago. It finally dawned on me last week that my mattress is almost nine years old, and that I probably needed a new one.

I am a total Consumer Reports nerd, and they just had an article about buying a new mattress a couple of months ago. I have just about every issue going back about 5 years (I told you I was nerd! I've actually got a few going back even earlier but I did throw out some of the really old ones last year), so I found the article so I would be prepared. Well, apparently mattresses are different than a lot of the items they test. Basically the article boiled down to the fact that most modern mattresses from known brands are equally well-constructed, so the main consideration is how it feels to you. And it is also hard to comparison shop because the manufacturer will make the same mattress for different retailers and call it something different at each store. CR recommends that you lay on a mattress for 15 minutes (!) if you want to get a feel for how the mattress will perform for you long-term.

So, going into the weekend I knew I would be doing some mattress shopping at some point. Saturday was already booked, so I guess it would be more accurate to say that I knew I would be mattress shopping on Sunday. I had a couple of issues that made me want to get the mattress as soon as possible. On Saturday I had some pretty bad neck pain, and also due to my anxiety-filled personality, ever since I figured out that I needed a new mattress I haven't been able to sleep worth a damn! Well, I ended up making 3 stops - Sears, Sleep Experts, and Mattress Giant. I thought that this might actually be something that would take a couple of days, but by 5PM I had settled on one from Mattress Giant. They delivered it today. I can't wait to really try it out - I can't remember the last time I have been this excited about going to sleep! I will probably have to buy some new sheets too since this mattress is a bit thicker than my old one, but I need some new sheets anyway.

UPDATE: So far so good, my neck feels pretty good after the first night.

3 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

I have made up for my bed from hell by putting 12 pillows in it, why it's referred to as the "bed of pillows"

My sister ripped off my tempurpedic mattress pad cover AND pillows. :(

8/16/2005 3:53 PM  
Blogger JC said...

StoSto stole your pillows? Did you go 'old-school Holli' on her? Or was the bathtub pic payback?

8/16/2005 9:14 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I'm afraid StoSto will somehow find your blog and find my comments.. but there is a weirdness that exists between me and StoSto that involves her taking things.. and me biding my time until I can "take" them back.

I came very close to posting a picture of a pink crystal necklace on my blog with the caption "missing - upon return I will not beat your ass"

8/17/2005 6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home