Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Big Fix Up

In a first for me, one of my female friends is 'fixing me up' with one of her friends. It looks like our first date will be Saturday. I talked to this girl on the phone last night and we had a great conversation, we talked for about 2 hours. I think we have a lot in common, and I'm pretty excited about meeting her. That said, I'm trying to keep my expectations low.

One thing I've definitely learned with my misadventures in the online dating world (more on that later) is that all bets are off until you meet in person. I always insist on seeing a picture of someone first (call me shallow if you want), and I make my picture available to others as well. But I've found that that is apparently not a good indicator. And I have to say that I have been on the wrong end of that equation a lot more than the other way around. I've met people online before that I seemed to have tons of things in common with, they saw my picture, I saw their picture, we talked on the phone for hours, we went out on our first date - and then I never hear from them again (and no I don't wait for them to contact me, this is them not replying if I call or e-mail them). I guess that's what chemistry is all about.

I guess it's a little perplexing to me because I think my picture is an accurate representation of what I look like. Maybe it's just that I've had 33 years to adjust to looking at my ugly mug, and I'm glossing over the imperfections. So, this is why I can't get too excited about my date on Saturday yet.

3 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

I can't wait to hear how it goes!!

I have a book somewhere.. "expect the worst - you'll never be disappointed"

words to live by.

Hopefully this will be a nice surprise.. or at the very least, an interesting blog entry. :)

8/12/2005 3:54 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I'll spill the beans on Sunday. It sounds like she's going to flat out tell me if she doesn't want to go out with me again, so at least I won't have to wonder...

8/12/2005 4:31 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

well i'm all for up front. better than finding out someone is a nutball later on.

8/13/2005 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home