Sunday, August 21, 2005

Great Movie

Well, I saw 'The 40 Year Old Virgin' today and I was not disappointed. This movie is extremely funny. It is also extremely raunchy. In this day and age when a lot of entertainment has been sanitized to some extent because someone thinks they know what's best for you, a movie like this that doesn't pull any punches is like a breath of fresh air. I've seen a lot of press about 'Wedding Crashers' that said the same thing, but to me that movie was entirely too predictable. With this movie, although you know what will happen at the end, the journey is a lot more fun.

Another thing that bothered me about 'Wedding Crashers' was how the main characters seemed way older than their love interests. In FYOV the love interest is actually age appropriate for the main character, which was kind of refreshing to see for a change. One thing about this movie that was well done is that they really make you like the main character. Yes, a lot of the fun is had at his expense, but there is also some heart at the core of this film but they don't allow it to get too sickly-sweet. I really like the way the Dallas Observer review summed it up: "It's a dick joke with heart." True dat.

As far as the Mabel situation this was a fairly low-key date. We basically just met up and watched the movie. I had planned for us to go eat afterward, but Mabel said that she has some kind of stomach issue that is making her not feel hungry. She seemed to enjoy the movie quite a bit. You've got to like a girl that can laugh at the phrase: 'shit-stained balls'. No kiss this time as we said our goodbyes in the sweltering parking lot of the movie theater. The atmosphere didn't really seem to lend itself to a kiss, so just another hug.

2 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

I'm not sure, I haven't tried to set up another date yet. I suppose I'll ask about another one soon.

8/23/2005 9:25 AM  
Blogger JC said...

I hope you like it! I'll be checking your blog for a report...

8/23/2005 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home