Thursday, August 13, 2009

Palo Duro Canyon

A few miles southeast of Amarillo lies Palo Duro Canyon. Palo Duro is the second largest canyon in the United States. Advertising it as such causes me a little bit of a chuckle since who ever brags about something as being the "second best"? Also, since Texas is always claiming to have the biggest and baddest of anything you can think of, the fact that it can only lay claim to the second largest canyon is something that I find mildly amusing.

Nonetheless, it is a fine canyon. But there is no doubt that it is a lot smaller than the Grand Canyon, particularly in depth where it only bottoms out at about 800 feet. You can drive to the bottom of it in only a couple of minutes. There were lots of mountain bikers, and it looks like a great place to ride.











A view of the lighthouse formation via telephoto lens.





This is the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River, which is responsible for carving the canyon. You can see why it is called the Red River!







I love these bird tracks in the red mud next to the river.



I believe this is a Mississippi Kite.



This was painted on the road in front of the entrance sign. I couldn't resist taking a photo. It makes me think of ?uestlove - "Aw, c'mon son!"

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I love the bird tracks in the red mud too. I don't know if I could handle the elevation gain but it looks like a dream place to run.

8/13/2009 10:35 PM  
Blogger Umā said...

What a very different landscape. I'd love to mountain bike in a canyon.

The rich red mud reminds me a little of the red clay cliffs on Martha's Vineyard.

8/19/2009 8:46 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Most of the trails are relatively flat since they are in the bottom of the canyon. It was very hot too, fall or spring would be the best time for physical exertion there.

8/23/2009 12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home