Monday, July 27, 2009

Dirt Mall

These photos are from a mall that I pass every day on my way to and from work. I always thought that the tile design looked interesting. The store with the tile started out as a Sanger Harris, then it was a Foley's, then it was Macy's, now it's closed. I know it's not the Taj Mahal or anything, but it's a lot more interesting than the cookie cutter stuff you see built nowadays. It kind of has that tacky/cool early '70s thing going on.








I also really like the textured look of this Sears store. It just doesn't look like anything you see built these days.
A bit of trivia: For my 10th birthday one of my friends parents planned to take us to Six Flags as my birthday gift. As we were driving there a nasty thunderstorm came along, and it started hailing (I think they were about golfball-sized). We pulled off the freeway, got out of the car, and took refuge under this Sears overhang. I was scared shitless. And we never did make it to Six Flags.






Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Umā said...

It's a shame that top store isn't being put to good use, with a foyer like that!

7/28/2009 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home