Monday, June 08, 2009

Finding The Unexpected

I had been making plans for a couple of weeks to photograph a field of Indian Blanket wildflowers that I saw every day on my way home from work. This field was almost completely covered with flowers. I finally planned to head out there on Saturday evening to take some photos. I even stopped by on Friday night to see whether I needed to plan for wearing long pants to keep the chiggers at bay.

This is an Indian Blanket:


So I drove over there on Saturday only to find this:

Yep, they mowed the whole field on Saturday morning. I was quite disappointed. I decided to stick around and see what else I could see.

I saw a roadrunner. They aren't something that I actually see very often. I kept slowly creeping closer in between shots, but as I did the roadrunner kept moving away from me. This was about as close as I could get.


I saw a mockingbird swoop up to this branch right over my head.


There were still a few flowers left on the edge of the field.





I went home (literally only a couple of minutes away) to get my telephoto extender to see if I could get a closer shot of the roadrunner. Upon getting out of my car a skunk flushed out of the brush and started (thankfully) running away from me. I still couldn't get a better shot of the roadrunner.

The roadrunner is like: "Dude, don't come over here!"
There were lots of other birds around.





So, although I didn't get to see what I came for, I still saw lots of stuff. And it led me to make a discovery that I will blog about later!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Vedrana M. said...

nice! next time don't wait so long ;)

6/10/2009 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home