Monday, April 13, 2009

It's The Easter Vulture, Charlie Brown!

OK, technically I didn't take these photos on Easter. It was actually last Thursday. But I figure it's close enough, right?

When I got home from work last Thursday I saw a huge bird sitting on the top of the telephone pole at the end of my street. I wasn't sure what it was at first. I got my camera and walked to the end of the street to snap a few photos. Turns out it was a black vulture. I see them soaring high overhead quite a bit, but I don't often see them perched. He or she eyed me suspiciously, but didn't fly away.

Click on photos to view larger.




Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger REENblack said...

Wow, that is so neat. The detail in its face is amazing! I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a vulture just perched somewhere!

4/14/2009 8:54 AM  
Blogger Umā said...

these are amazing! we have vultures here but they don't look quite like that - they are actually far uglier!

4/14/2009 3:26 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

We have turkey vultures here and they are very ugly. Your vulture is interesting. What a great shot.

We had a heron fly overhead today and I sure wish my camera had been handy.

4/19/2009 4:14 PM  
Blogger JC said...

rb - i saw another one perched yesterday. Maybe it was the same one.

mh - i agree that turkey vultures are uglier than black vultures. the red head makes them look freaky.

michelle - thanks! i can't count the number of times i wished i had my camera and didn't. luckily this was close to my house.

i love herons.

4/19/2009 8:33 PM  
Anonymous paintergirl said...

ok-they are cool but freak me out.

5/12/2009 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home