Sunday, March 01, 2009

Like A Tree Surgeon

They say manual labor is good for the soul. It builds character. Keeps you honest. I guess I agree with most of that to some extent, but the truth is that sometimes you just have to do it because nobody else will. Or because you can't afford to pay someone else to do it.

I had to do some minor tree surgery this weekend. The tree in my front yard had one branch last year that died for some reason. The tree has started to leaf out this year, and the number of dead branches have increased. Unfortunately I don't feel that that bodes well for its long-term survival prospects. I have seen several other trees in my neighborhood die out like this. In an effort to arrest the spread of dead branches, I decided to cut off a big chunk on one side. It's kind of like how a surgeon might have to amputate a leg to keep someone from dying of gangrene.


There are times, not often but occasionally, when a chainsaw would come in mighty handy. But c'mon, chainsaws are for wimps. Did early Americans need chainsaws to build all those log cabins and clear all that farmland? Hell no! Did Paul Bunyan need a chainsaw to cut down all those trees? Hell no! Plus, I don't have a chainsaw. And did you know YOU CAN CUT YOUR ARM OFF WITH A CHAINSAW?! I'd like to keep both arms. So I did this the old-fashioned way. It took a while, but I can just feel my character building.



Post surgery tree.


It doesn't look as lopsided as I was worried it might. But I may have to cut off that lowest branch on the right at some point to even things out.

Yeah, I know it looks kind of weird. I'm going to cut off that part that is sticking up. As soon as I figure out how. Maybe I'll buy a chainsaw.

A chainsaw? Pfft.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Vedrana M. said...

that's good..it's better when you can do things on your own..you can be proud later :)

3/02/2009 5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home