Monday, March 09, 2009

Growing My Own

After a 2 year break, I am going to try and grow some veggies again this year. I saw a photo from a few years back that showed the cinnamon basil that I had growing that year, and I was struck by a feeling that I want to do that again. I loved the way that plant looked, smelled, and how it had bees buzzing all over it in the fall. So I decided to try to grow some stuff this year.


I took a break because there can be a lot of effort and water involved in growing things around here, especially during the summer months. Also, I have tried to grow tomatoes about 3 times, and ultimately those efforts have not been very successful. But I'm ready to try again. This year I'm going to try and grow grape tomatoes. I eat them whenever I can on my daily salads, and I've heard that small tomatoes are easier to grow around here. And I know that homegrown tomatoes will taste a million times better than the ones from the store.


I also bought a Thai basil plant and a New Mexican pepper plant. These 2 plants should be much easier to grow than the tomatoes as they tolerate hot and dry weather well, but I will have to be vigilant for pests, especially on the pepper plant. I had two beautiful pepper plants 3 years ago, and just as the peppers were starting to grow, a couple of hornworms showed up and ate them down to twigs practically overnight. I want to keep things as organic as possible, and I'm not sure that there are lots of options for pest prevention (rather than mitigation), so I'm planning to keep a close eye on things. Wish me luck!


Left to right: Thai basil, New Mexico pepper, and grape tomato

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Umā said...

good for you! i know absolutely nothing about gardening outside of new england, but i do know about hornworms! i use a natural pyrethium (sp) product from a website/company called "gardens alive" that seems to work pretty well. but you have to spray often, especially if it rains!
hornworms....eeeek. i like bugs but hornworms are almost as big as some people's dogs.

3/10/2009 10:27 PM  
Blogger rev joe said...

yo it's me-long time

I'm going to try tomatoes in pots as well. It's very satisfying growing your own.

3/11/2009 9:31 AM  
Blogger Vedrana M. said...

this is great, can't wait to see them in summer :)

3/11/2009 12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home