Sunday, May 31, 2009

Puppies and Bison?

A couple of weeks ago I got an e-mail from my Mom's cousin. He does lots of genealogical research, and he had found that one of his ancestors (it's on his father's side, so it's not one of my direct ancestors) moved in the mid 1800s from Kentucky to a place in Texas not too far from where I live. He told me the name of the cemetery where the grandson of this person was buried, so I thought I would go take a look to see if I could find whether any more of his family members were buried there as well. It was an interesting excursion. I spent a couple of hours wandering around the cemetery, and although I didn't find any more of the family members I was looking for, I did see some things I never expected to see.



This truck was in front of me for most of the trip. I liked that the dog seemed to be having fun, but I didn't like that there was nothing to keep the dog from flying off the truck if it had to stop suddenly.


The funny part was that the dog would turn to bark at vehicles that passed the truck.









On one property bordering the cemetery there were puppies! They went nuts when they saw me.

I wanted to take one home, but since it looks like they are purebreds I probably couldn't afford one. That one on the left was staring me down, I think he was trying some kind of mind control trick.

Look at the all-white one!


Then on another next door property there were bison!

They're in the process of shedding their winter coats.


It fascinates me to think about how bison roamed this area in great numbers until the mid-1800s when they were hunted almost to extinction.



To me there's something majestic about them. I guess they have that aura of the Old West about them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home