Sunday, August 09, 2009

Cadillac Ranch

OK, the chronological thing is taking a detour because my food post is MASSIVE, and I'm not even close to finishing it yet. So I'm jumping ahead to the end of my drive from Albuquerque to Amarillo.

One of the things that I knew I definitely wanted to do when I found out I would be driving through Amarillo was stop at the Cadillac Ranch. I have driven past it about 3 times but never stopped to take a closer look.


The timing worked out great because I arrived towards the end of the day, and the light was very good. I was a little surprised at the large number of people out there, many of whom were adding their own mark via spray paint.













It's never too early to teach the kids how to paint graffiti!












Graffiti fun for the whole family!


Check out the cobweb.






















Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous paintergirlny said...

Awwww...this was on our list to visit when we were in the RV. I just love this. I like the stickers on the sign. There should be graffiti on it as well. No it's never to early to teach kids to be street artists. :) Afternoon light is the best light. Isn't that a 70's song...oh wait.

8/11/2009 10:38 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Actually, that's a good point - I think it is good to teach kids about art in its many forms, and painting of the Caddys is encouraged. So I'm cool wid it. I guess I'm just not used to seeing spray painting taking place so openly! I do wish more people would have availed themselves of the dumpster instead of leaving empties in the field, though.

And I should point out that the heavily painted dumpster in the next-to-last photo is on the side of the fence with the sign!

8/11/2009 8:33 PM  
Blogger Umā said...

Cool! I wonder how many layers of paint will end up on those cars? I love the photo with the boy in soft focus behind the car. Very evocative.

8/12/2009 5:40 PM  
Blogger JC said...

m - I wondered how much paint must have been built up on them too. I'm not sure if they ever strip it. They're almost 40 years old!

Like a lot of interesting photos, the boy in the background was an unplanned element. I was trying to get a photo of the Surf Taco sticker, and I got one with nobody in the background, but I realized that the one with the boy in it was more interesting. That's one thing I love about photography - how unplanned elements can inspire new directions. You never know what you're going to get when you start shooting!

8/23/2009 12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home