Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Roadside America

The Amarillo area has more than its fair share of quirky roadside attractions. Of course the Cadillac Ranch is the granddaddy of them all, but here are a few others that are nearby.


Cowboy "Muffler Man"

The Muffler Man is a distinct type of fiberglass sculpture. This cowboy is actually modified from the standard (the arms & legs are different). I love the pants & boots on this one.














His face is teh creepy.

These were supposedly commissioned by the guy responsible for the Cadillac Ranch. The socks were not an original feature.















The plaque is kind of hard to read. Click for a larger view. It's pretty funny. According to the plaque the statue consists of ruins that inspired Shelley to write "Ozymandias"!

Combine City
Obviously a response to the Caddys! Not nearly as much fun, though, since you can't paint them.







And this isn't a roadside attraction. I just love the view. This was what I saw if I looked south from Combine City. There's something I really love about how flat and treeless that part of West Texas is. If you have any interest in geology, this page about the Llano Estacado is an interesting read.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Umā said...

The cowboy kind of reminds me of one of the Family Guy characters. I only see it playing at the gym (without sound) so I don't know any of their names...

8/12/2009 5:38 PM  
Blogger Gunnar and Sherry said...

Great post! I was in Amarillo a few years ago to see the Cadillac Ranch but had no idea about these other awesome places. Great photos.

8/13/2009 5:03 PM  
Blogger Umā said...

I just saw this and thought of your post...

http://www.inhabitat.com/2009/08/08/carhenge-scrap-vehicles-replicate-prehistoric-monument/

8/19/2009 8:44 AM  
Blogger JC said...

m - he kind of reminds me of Hank Hill from King of the Hill. I'm not familiar enough with the Family Guy characters to know whether he looks like any of them.

I've heard of Carhenge - it's really cool, hopefully I can go there someday!

G&S - Thanks! Amarillo has so many strange roadside attractions. There are a couple of other ones that I didn't get to. You can check out the page that I linked to for the Muffler Man explanation to read about some of the others.

8/23/2009 12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home