Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tonight, On "Cops"

Friday night I got pulled over by the po po. I got pulled over for not signaling a lane change. The car that pulled me over was an undercover car – I didn’t even realize it was a police car until he turned on the lights that he had on the inside of the front windshield. The funny thing is that he had been behind me for a while, and I was on a street where it’s not smart to speed, so I was driving the speed limit. There was a real slowpoke in front of me though, and I was really ready to get home (the only reason I was in that part of town is because I exited the highway due to a wreck and massive traffic jam on the highway), and I changed lanes in front of the cop without signaling. He said I was driving "erratically". Which is about par for the course around here.

Getting pulled over definitely sucks, and my natural inclination is to be pissed off. However, I’ve learned to keep my cool and be polite as possible. I have an uncle who used to be a police officer, and when I was in high school I was in the Police Explorer program, so I’ve spent a lot of time around police officers. I used to want to be one when I grew up, but I’m glad I’m didn’t do that because I would make a terrible police officer! Anyway, if you’ve been pulled over, at that point there’s really nothing to be gained from being an asshole. And being nice, or at least not being rude, gives you the chance to actually not get a ticket (unless you’ve been pulled over for something way over the top). I’m guessing that the officer was on a fishing expedition, because he asked me if it was my car (trust me, if I was stealing a car I would not steal the POS I drive!), if I had ever been arrested, if I had ever gotten a ticket (when I answered “yes” he wanted to know how long ago), etc. I think he just wanted to know if I had any warrants or unpaid tickets. I didn’t, and he let me off with a warning. Which I greatly appreciated. I guess sometimes it pays to not be a jerk!

8 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

that is some kind of lucky and when i next get pulled over (please, not any time soon), i'll remember your advice.

1/21/2008 6:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My heart sank for you when I started to read your post! I'm so glad you didn't get a ticket...nothing can ruin a night quicker! Very good advice..it never pays to be a jerk, on the road or any other time (unless on the phone with customer service!).

1/21/2008 7:04 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I cannot BELIEVE you got pulled over for not signaling. please.

1/21/2008 12:19 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Lord almighty, I cannot believe you got pulled over for not blinking! That's insane. Sounds like the cop was bored and persecuting you for no good reason. Can you even get an actual fine for not signaling? If Boston cops started giving out tickets for not signaling (much less turning right out of the left lane), they would have no time for anything else.

1/21/2008 1:37 PM  
Blogger weddingproject-us said...

you are lucky! we just got pulled over in the rv for driving on a road we didn't know we couldn't drive on (long story)

I'm glad you didn't become a cop.

1/21/2008 6:25 PM  
Blogger JC said...

k - it never hurts!

b - that would have put a damper on my evening fo sho.

anne - i think that was just the pretense for making sure i wasn't smuggling chinchillas or something.

anna - you can get a fine for that, but I think he was just hoping I had a gun or a warrant, that was just his excuse for pulling me over. Another funny thing? This is the second time this has happened to me within a year. It was a different officer, but the same town. I guess that's their M.O. I must look like a deadbeat. I would say about 70% of people around here turn without signaling on a regular basis.

pg - you all didn't get a ticket did you? I would have hated being a cop. When I was younger I didn't know myself as well as I do now.

1/21/2008 9:35 PM  
Blogger weddingproject-us said...

Oh we didn't get a ticket-then. We had to try to figure out the chicken scratch the state trooper wrote on a slip of paper and and mail our guilty plea in and then the municipal court would send us a bill. No points, just money. $100. It sucked. It was a terrible day. It's so painful it's almost funny.

1/22/2008 4:59 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

That rocks that he didn't give you a ticket...sucks that he was being a jerk. The only time I've been pulled over was on a Saturday morning (on base in Germany) when I did a rolling stop. There were maybe five cars actually driving on the whole base, but I got pulled over anyway! No ticket though, 'cause I was polite! :-) It for sure pays off!

1/23/2008 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home