Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Radiohead and Jambalaya. Huh?

OK, my Radiohead pants are going crazy today. Why? Because they're coming to Dallas on their tour this year! They haven't been here in 10 years. Now the trick will be getting tickets. I'd cut off one of my pinky fingers with a rusty butter knife to get just one. Wait, did I say "my"? I meant "yours". :)

I had to quit listening to the download version of the new album because the sound quality was bugging me so much. But the CD version came out last week and I've started listening again. It's a great album. My favorite song to this point is "Nude", but I also love "15 Step" and "All I Need". The whole album is good though. It's a bit of a pullback from the electronic stuff on Kid A and Amnesiac. Like any Radiohead record there are lots of layers to absorb over time; I hear something new every time I listen to it. And I loves me some Nigel Godrich production. It's good stuff.

Last night for dinner I cooked one of my Trader Joe's purchases from my last trip to Arizona. As you can see in the photo, it's the vegetable jambalaya. I love jambalaya and just about any Cajun food for that matter. I was a bit skeptical of this stuff though because as you can also see it's made in India. India may be famous for many things (amazing cuisine being one of them), but jambalaya is most assuredly not one of those things. And I would not classify this dish as jambalaya. It was OK, but overall I wasn't that impressed (a picture of the actual product would not have been very appetizing). Sorry TJ's, this was a miss. But I still love ya!






The picture from yesterday's post that some of you asked about is this thing:


It's a drill that they're using at this construction site near my house to create the holes for the pilings for a new building. I thought it was kind of interesting when I saw it just sitting there stuck in the ground.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

Aaaaaah! Radiohead is touring again!! Yay. I am so happy to see that Boston is on the list as well as Dallas. They are most amazing live. Have you seen them before? Was it ten years ago? Thank you so much for that link. Yay, again.

1/09/2008 9:02 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

I'm in love with this album, my husband didn't like the download, thought the album wasn't great. But now that we have the real deal, he recognizes.
I'm dying to see them this tour - I've seen them twice and I'm so afraid that the tix will sell out and I'll be left with my nose pressed against the door. I'll try Philly too - I won't be left out.

My favorite is jigsaw falls into place.

1/09/2008 9:11 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I hope both of you get to go too!

a - I haven't seen them before. I've only been a fan for a couple of years (hey, you have to start somewhere). It's been 10 years for Dallas because the only Texas stop on the 2001 and 2003 tours was Houston (which I probably would have gone to if I had been into them then, but it's 250 miles away). The tour in 2006 was pretty limited - they didn't come anywhere close to Texas. Their live stuff sounds amazing, and I've heard that it's even better in person.

kiki - I've found that some of their albums really took some time for me to get into. But once I did, I really loved them. I may have to break the bank if they sell out.

Jigsaw is a great song too!

1/09/2008 9:36 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

They are AMAZING live. I have seen them in concert 7 (seven) times now, starting in 1995. Even in larger venues, they are amazing. You must go.

1/10/2008 10:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Eww, Indian Jambalaya. Sorry it didn't satisfy! I'll steer clear of it the next time I'm at T.J.'s.

1/10/2008 8:07 PM  
Blogger JC said...

A - 7 times?! Wow, you are a hardcore Radiohead nerd (but that's cool)! I think I was resistant to listening to them for a long time because I figured if so many people liked them there must be something wrong with them (how pretentious is that?). But in this case everyone was right. I think my current record for seeing bands in concert is 4 times (Ween). I went through a period where all the music I liked was defunct bands or ones that hardly ever tour (like Tom Waits). You rule!

B - I know, it sounds bad doesn't it? I thought maybe they knew something I didn't. I guess not!

1/10/2008 8:58 PM  
Blogger weddingproject-us said...

Radiohead, haven't seen them perform. I haven't seen many concerts lately. sigh. I bet they are great. Love the new album.

Indian jambalaya? I love Indian food and I love jambalaya but together...doesn't sound great.

1/11/2008 7:18 AM  
Blogger REENblack said...

I hope you get a ticket! When do they go on sale???

I've never had jambalaya...and after reading this post I don't plan on it any time soon!

1/11/2008 8:52 AM  
Blogger JC said...

wp - I also love Indian food and jambalaya, so I think that's why I was willing to give it a go!

rb - They haven't announced when the tickets go on sale yet. In fact, they haven't even announced the actual dates yet. And you should totally still try jambalaya, just make sure it's affiliated with Louisiana somehow!

1/13/2008 9:13 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

I have *got* to start wearing my glasses. I thought the instructions said "just beat and eat!" Yowzas.

1/18/2008 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home