Sunday, December 23, 2007

Go Even Further West, Young Man

The day after I arrived in Arizona we hit the road to drive to San Diego. My parents had bought tickets to see an exhibit of the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Natural History Museum. That drive is not exactly a short one! I looked it up on Mapquest and it said that it was 400 something miles and should take about 6 hours. When travelling with my parents it took a bit longer. As my mom said: "travelling with old people is really slow". I don't really consider them "old people", but there were more bathroom breaks, driving right at the speed limit, etc. Plus my dad's real weird about some stuff, like when we stop for gas he has to clean all of the windows with the squeegie, and calculate all kinds of permutations of gas mileage (like since the last fill up, on that particular trip, for the month(?)). It takes some getting used to. But since I was just along for the ride I couldn't complain. Except maybe about having to listen to Prairie Home Companion - drives me insane!

The exhibit was better than I was expecting. They had a lot of artifacts from the area where they found the scrolls, photographs, as well as a lot of information about the preservation of the scrolls which I found interesting after my preservation class this fall. The museum is in Balboa Park, which I love. We went to the cactus and rose gardens after the exhibit. I could have hung around there all day if I'd been allowed to!

Before some of you get jealous about how balmy it appears, it's actually long sleeve and jacket weather here. The highs have been in the upper 50s to around 60, but when you factor in the wind it feels colder than that.



This giant Christmas tree is at the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego.








Check out this gigantic fig tree in Balboa Park. It's about 100 years old.











This rose kind of smelled like a lemon.

I love the way the bark looks on eucalyptus trees.

These wind turbines are huge.

I'm still fascinated by mountains. I guess because I live in a place that is almost completely flat.

Moonrise





Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, what an amazing exhibit it must have been! I'm guessing cameras weren't allowed by the scrolls? The fig tree made me laugh... we've got two in our back yard that I am constantly fighting...they are trying to take over the property!!

12/23/2007 3:07 PM  
Blogger weddingproject-us said...

what a great exhibit

traveling with family in general takes long time, young or old. And animals, but fortunately you don't have pets with you.

I love villa capri sign

And I swear I have seen that fig tree in The Office or Gilmore Girls. (Do tv directors really think we'd not notice LA backdrops?)

The eucalyptus trees are beautiful. Any butterflies in them? And I love to be a warm place that's cold.

12/23/2007 9:45 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

sounds like a great exhibition. we're going to spend 1 day in San Diego in February, leaving my girl in LA and we'll be alone.

the one thing i miss most about cali is the way eucalyptus smells - it's incredible.

12/24/2007 7:22 AM  
Blogger Vedrana M. said...

happy holidays! :) photos are great, i love flowers and moonrise!

12/24/2007 10:34 AM  
Blogger Amy N. said...

I am so sorry that we missed each other!!!! I was completely bummed. You should visit your sister more often. Have a great Christmas.

12/24/2007 10:35 AM  
Blogger Tish said...

Merry Christmas, JC!

12/25/2007 1:22 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

great pictures!! Yeah, I don't miss the road trips with Mom. I really don't.

12/27/2007 9:31 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Thanks everyone!

b - yep, no cameras allowed in the exhibit.

p - I didn't see any butterflies. I think it's too cold right now.

12/30/2007 12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home