Wednesday, May 16, 2007

JC vs. Mothra

This morning on my way to work I saw a moth commit suicide. Traffic was pretty much at a standstill, and there was a moth fluttering toward the car in front of me. The car slowly started moving, and the moth drifted closer to the side of the car. Suddenly the moth flew into the wheel well of one of the back wheels of the car, and soon I saw a brown smudge cycle by every so often as the car in front of me moved. What could move the poor creature to have done such a thing? I don't know for sure, but I think maybe it's because he heard about the awesome moth party in my back yard last weekend, and he was upset that he missed it.


That's right, moth party in my back yard.


All you can eat!


Just like Golden Corral. Except with fewer senior citizens.


Even upside down moths!



And lots of 'em.



On gutters.


On roofs.


On tacky vinyl siding.




Slurp, slurp.











It was also smorgasbord time for this mockingbird.


Them moths make for good eatin'.





The Mount Everest of moths.





I wanted to try some artsy stuff, here's the original.






Original





Now I'm off to Fort Worth for the day, where I will have absolutely no Infranets access all day. Good times, good times! Oh, and last night I dreamed that I got a new job as a school bus driver. What was that all about?

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

who knew...how pretty they are...squished moths, well, ain't so much

5/16/2007 10:16 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

around the house we sing mos-a-ra, because the ladies in flowers from mothra movie sound like they are saying mossara. anyway.those moths sure are pretty enough to be butterflies.

5/16/2007 12:05 PM  
Blogger Chickytava said...

My grandmother took me to Golden Corral every time I visited her. You've got to love the seniors buffet.

The moth/car story reminds me of the scene with the goldfish in "Me and You and Everyone We Know."

5/16/2007 12:17 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Poor Mothra.

But it looks like the party-goers had a good time!

5/16/2007 2:20 PM  
Blogger BJ said...

Nice pictures JC. Prettiest moths I belive I've ever seen!

Those darn mockingbirds are something though. All the squawking they do can grate on one's nerve at times. None the less, they are pretty too.

5/16/2007 4:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think you need a degree to be a bus driver. Just sayin'!!

5/16/2007 8:23 PM  
Blogger KELLI BELLY said...

Great pictures! Now check out these bird moths that were mating on my neighbor's garden hose :o) http://www.flickr.com/photos/31532602@N00/230231142/

5/17/2007 6:39 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

i think you would make an awesome school bus driver. especially if you took up smoking cigars and stopped bathing. oh yeah, and you'd need to purchase some of those tiny tank tops that reveal the woodsy underarm hairs....wife-beaters. Great flutterbys btw!

5/17/2007 10:06 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

oh why does the mention of wife beaters really creep me out.

jc would like be the only fun bus driver I had-he put speakers in the bus. I can remember a boy I had a crush on Billow sing-Play that funky music. Good times on the bus.

5/17/2007 11:17 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

What cool photos!! I am not a big fan of moths - they fly in my face a bit too often, but they are so pretty!! You caught such great shots!

5/17/2007 12:12 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

such awesome photos, i agree with sotj: who knew moths could be so pretty?

5/18/2007 12:28 PM  
Blogger Tish said...

Beautiful photos!!

Please update your blogroll with my new addy when you get the chance. http://chattiekat.com.

5/18/2007 5:12 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

Cool pics, I like the artsy ones too!

--Hopefully it wasnt the "short" bus you were driving!! :-)

5/19/2007 12:39 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

aithanemmalou6400661You are so funny. This series cracked me out. I loved the captions.. especially mount everest.

Faith flipped out when we walked into the kitchen the other night and the window was almost solid moths

5/19/2007 1:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was thinking about it and maybe it could be the fact I am not very observant but I dont see very many moths out here.
Creepy bus drivers, well they all swarm the porch light...
Disturbing on so many levels.

5/21/2007 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home