Friday, December 15, 2006

Thanksgiving Wrap-up

OK, I can finally wrap-up my Thanksgiving trip.

On the same day that we went to the Lemur Center and Duke Chapel, we went to eat at an Indian restaurant for dinner. The funny part was that the restaurant was named Dale’s Indian Cuisine. I had this picture of some Carolina redneck making tandoori chicken. Although once we got there no rednecks (at least among the restaurant staff) were to be seen. My sister is one of the youth sponsors at the church she goes to, and the dinner was an event for the church youth. It seemed like mostly junior high kids that showed up. They were nice kids for the most part, although the know-it-all that sat next to me was a little annoying. Most of the kids were unfamiliar with Indian food, so she took it upon herself to explain what everything on the menu was, including to me. Honey, I’ve been eating Indian food since long before you were even a blastocyst. I had the chicken bahaar, and it was pretty good. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough to keep from getting hungry later. We were so busy that day we hadn’t eaten lunch.

The next morning we planned to go to the first North Carolina opening of my favoritest grocery store in the whole world – Trader Joe’s! I was keeping my expectations low because I thought it might be super crowded and not even worth messing with. On the way to Trader Joe’s we stopped by the state park where my brother-in-law works so my sister could drop off some papers he needed. I got to hold the corn snake that they have in their office, which was pretty cool. Snakes don’t bother me. I think the snake liked how warm my hands were, he seemed a little cold.

We finally made it to Trader Joe’s and it was pretty much a mad house. The line nearest to the door was extremely long. Since we knew it would take a while to get through that line, we decided that one of us would go ahead and get in line while the other shopped, and then we could switch. When I took my turn shopping I noticed that the other lines were about half the length of the one we were in! But I figured by that time we had moved enough to not make changing lines worth it. I think that turned out to be a mistake, but what are you going to do? It took us an hour and a half to get through the line and check out. The fact that this didn’t give me a coronary tells you how much I like TJ’s.

This was a local beer that I tried. It was very good. I liked the label too.


More beer. Tusker is from Kenya. I had heard of it but they don't carry it in Texas. It was pretty good too.

My sister ganked (does anyone still say "ganked"?) this sign from work because they were going to throw it away. I like how the lemur is riding a skateboard. Just like real life!

This is my new favorite TJ's trail mix, since they quit carrying my previous favorite.

These chips are awesome.

Love the chile spiced mango!

Recommended.

This was good, but the dish turned out soupier than I was expecting. Maybe don't add as much water as they recommend.

Frankly this cereal was a bit of a letdown.

This is my sister's dog.


He's a good dog, but not the sharpest pencil in the box. But give him a break, his brain is about the size of a walnut!

Chillin'


He likes to perch on the couch so he can see what's going on outside.





He barks a lot. And every morning he would forget that he met me the day before, so he would go crazy when I would emerge from the bedroom in the morning.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12/15/2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I watched some documentary or something on the Food Network about T.J...I remember going there a few times in Cali and being impressed. Do they not exist in Texas?

The pup looks sweet! I've always liked tiny little yap-yap dogs.

12/15/2006 1:36 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Mmmmmm...Aloo Palak...Oh how Indain food is loved in this house.

Oh how I love teens that know everything. They grow up to be adults that know everything. I honestly love kids that are early teens though. Mostly 11,12, 13. No one wanted those kids at when I was a counselor, so I took them-and they were great. Very misunderstood age.

I don't get freaked too much about creatures but snakes give me the shivers. They are cool, but I just don't like the idea of surprising one out in nature.

and trader joe's is awesome. We don't have one here in my town-but there is one in the city. We always buy those B vitamins that dissolve under your tongue.

Your sis's dog looks like a scrapper. I love tough little dogs.

12/15/2006 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"every morning he'd forget he met me the day before and go crazy" - BWAHAAHA!!!

So, you're a fan of the spicy stuf, huh? Hmm... Big Red gum is to strong for me. Even wusses call me a wuss - it's pretty sad.

And snakes are nasty. When I can afford it, I'm moving to Ireland, where St. Patrick did us all a favor and kicked all the nasty, evil, slimy, slithery, creeps-giving reptiles out. *shiver*

12/16/2006 9:04 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

I feel for you, having to live without Trader Joe's (and admire your perseverance! An hour and a half in line... wow). If you would like occasional TJ shipments, I am sure we can work something out :)

I am in such dog withdrawal. I will take a yappy dog over no dog. Snakes... not so much.

12/17/2006 10:05 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

wow. you held a corn snake? and the dog, your dog-nephew? is a cutie pie. are you turning into a food blogger?

12/19/2006 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home