Friday, December 01, 2006

Lemur Island, The Sequel

OK, it's not really an island, but work with me here. My sister works at this place. On Sunday we got to go over there to take a look at lemurs. Last year I posted a lot about the different types of animals there, so this year's post will be less wordy and rely more on pictures.

Coquerel's Sifaka. The way these guys jump around is amazing to watch.


Ringtailed lemur. I like to move it, move it.


The keepers are allowed to touch this little guy because he lives alone and doesn't have a mate. Hey, that argument doesn't work for me! I got a better picture of his face last year in the third picture. His name is Romeo, and he's a Diademed Sifaka.

This is a bamboo lemur. One of these attacked my sister recently when she was trying to feed them. It got on her back and started biting, but luckily it bit her shirt instead of her skin! I noticed the official name of this species is the "Gray Gentle Lemur", which seems strange because to me these seem to be the most aggressive animals at the Center. Just ask my sister!


Look at those blue eyes. Originally enough, these are blue-eyed lemurs.


OK, everyone, get ready for cuteness overload. This is a bushbaby (as opposed to a Bush baby).

It's amazing to watch these guys jump, they can leap all the way across a room in one jump.






Their ears swivel around like radar dishes.




This is a slender loris.




This picture is out of focus, but you can see how odd the slender loris looks while walking. Very Gollum-esque.


OK, unless you read last year's post, you are probably wondering "What the Hell is that?!" It's an aye-aye. These are some of my favorite animals at the center.




These are slow lorises.


This aye-aye is named Medea.


Taking time out for a beverage.


More beverage activity.



This aye-aye is named Tolkien. He likes to come right up to the door whenever anyone opens it. Note the bony, skinny, middle finger. They use this finger to get insects out of hollow spots in tree trunks.


I can't remember this aye-aye's name, but I think it might be Poe. This is how they look when they are eating.


This shot shows how their faces are kind of flat.


Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, I had no idea there are so many types of lemurs! You spent a long time on that post I'm sure, but it was worth it!

12/01/2006 1:35 PM  
Blogger Chickytava said...

My neighbors used to have a dog named Mookie, and my mother called it the world's ugliest dog. We could never figure out what breed it could possibly be a mix of. However, I'm just now realizing that perhaps Mookie was actually an aye-aye bred with a wire-haired terrier.

And BTW the Gollum reference was choice. Hahahaha! A bit Gremlin like as well. (the movie, of course, not the car...)

12/01/2006 7:45 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

How do you remember all the names of the lemurs? I'm impressed. And you sis works here. Pretty cool. I'm not sure where it was made, but I thought it was produced in North carolina, a show with two brothers called Zabumafu. It it was a lemur.

12/04/2006 8:30 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Oh yes and I almost forgot
"Daddy I want a bushbaby"
Quick what movie is this from?

12/04/2006 8:31 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Holy crap - I thought Romeo's hand was his face and he was going nuts!!

I love the aye ayes! Faith put our magnet up - straight away!

12/04/2006 3:54 PM  
Blogger JC said...

b - thanks, it did take a while to post all those pictures.

c - i think i've seen some dogs that were part aye-aye too!

pg - i'm not sure how i remember the names, but maybe it helps that each species has their own naming convention. For example the aye-ayes have "spooky" names (but I'm not sure Tolkien fits that!). One of the lemurs at the center is the lemur from the live action shots of Zoobomafoo. And is the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

h - I'm glad you still have that magnet! And see, this blog can be edumacational!

12/04/2006 8:01 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

It's 2001. The little girl at the beginning is talking to her dad via camera phone and she tells him she wants a bush baby for Christmas. I have always wanted one because of this, and a hedgehog.

I had a feeling about the Zoobomafoo. (I really did a number on spelling it huh)

12/04/2006 10:15 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Damn, you're right. I hate that I missed that one because that's one of my favorite movies. Despite the fact that I've seen hundreds of movies, many more than once, I'm terrible with movie quotes!

12/05/2006 5:57 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

i thought some of those were sugar gliders. did you get to touch/pet/hold any lemurs since your sis has the inside track to the place?

12/06/2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger Bratt said...

My neighbors used to have a dog named Mookie, and my mother called it the world's ugliest dog. We could never figure out what breed it could possibly be a mix of. However, I'm just now realizing that perhaps Mookie was actually an aye-aye bred with a wire-haired terrier.I hear that her order his medications in a easy way Online Pharmacy Prescription

10/28/2009 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home