Thursday, August 03, 2006

What The Hell, Mel?

OK, I guess it's kind of getting worn out, but I just have to dog-pile on this Mel Gibson thing.



This Mel Gibson thing is just so inflammatory. I know that people started thinking that maybe he was an anti-Semite because of his portrayal of Jews in The Passion of the Christ, and because he refused to denounce his father, who says the holocaust never happened. Well, I guess those anti-Semite suspicions were right. I think we all know that alcohol can loosen your inhibitions, and I don’t think Mel would have gone on his tirade if he didn’t believe somewhere deep down the words that he said. And check out the pre-arrest photos. Homey was lit. Lord knows I've done some stupid stuff while drunk, so maybe I'll give Mel the benefit of the doubt. We've all screwed up somehow, right? But I think he should do something extraordinary to really show that he's sorry, if he really is.



On a similar note there is also the news story about the Massachusetts Governor who is being excoriated for using the term “tar baby”. Now on this one perhaps it’s just my ignorance, but I didn’t think his use of the phrase in the context in which he used it was inappropriate. He used it to mean “a sticky situation”, which is the definition I have always associated with this term. However, I know it is also used as a slander against African Americans. Is it now just totally inappropriate to use this phrase at all? I guess for me, if someone finds it offensive then that’s reason enough to stop using the term.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Liberal Banana said...

I don't know. Just because he's a movie star, I don't think he should have to make apologies. Regular people get drunk and then drive all the time. Their parents may say ignorant things. But do they have to apologize? No.

8/03/2006 12:50 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I don't think he needs to apologize for driving drunk, just for saying that "Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world"!

8/03/2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger Tish said...

I've never heard the term "tar baby" used except in an offensive way.

8/04/2006 12:17 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I thought the Tar Baby came from Brer Rabbit? I used to love that book and I actually thought the little tar baby was cute!

8/04/2006 4:52 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

What a total nard. Seriously. And what's with the Sadaham lookalike?

8/08/2006 9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home