Tuesday, June 06, 2006

TV Wrapup

Another TV season has come and gone. We cried a lot, we laughed a lot, and then we cried some more. Way back in September I did a post about the upcoming start of the television season. Well, the time for the post-mortem analysis is here.

* Arrested Development - Unfortunately the phrase 'post-mortem' is all too apt here since the show has ended. Still absolutely hilarious, although to me the featuring of Charlize Theron near the start of the season took away too much time from Buster (almost non-existent in the first few episodes) and GOB. I really miss this show, although there is something to be said for bowing out while you're still on top of your game.
* America's Next Top Model - Still my favorite reality show, we've actually had 2 cycles since September. It's deliciously tacky and entertaining, although Miss J has seemed to have worn out his welcome. And in the last cycle the emphasis on natural disasters (Katrina and the tsunami) seemed a bit tasteless.
* The Apprentice - There were also 2 seasons of this show since September, although I only saw the second one. Holli got me hooked on it. I never considered watching it due to the general repugnance of Donald Trump, but I have to say that he grew on me a little bit. He has a sense of humor about himself. Although I am still driven to annoyance by his tendency to shout all the time. I love Ivanka when she appears on the show, and I'm actually even starting to like Donald Jr. a little bit. Who knew? The finale was a bit over the top.
* American Idol - I watched this show for the first time this season. And I have to admit that by the end of it I was ready to move on. I think the part I like the best is the auditions, with the horrible singers who think they are good. Next year maybe I'll just watch the auditions.
* The Simpsons - Still pretty funny. After 16 years of this show you pretty much know what you're going to get.
* Scrubs - For me this is the funniest show on television. It's funny in the "that's really weird and bizarre" way.
* The Office - The second funniest show on television. This show has it's bizarre moments too, but it's a bit more droll than say Scrubs. I loved the British version, so I was skeptical of the American version. Well, they pulled it off. It's got the key elements of the original, but it's been "Americanized" in a way that makes it like a distant cousin of the original. And the love story between Jim and Pam is better than a lot of dramas. I'm so glad that this show has seemed to break through somewhat and will around for a third season.
* My Name is Earl - Kind of funny, but not funny enough to make me want to watch it next year.
* 24 - I didn't really dig this show that much this season. It seems like the same thing over and over. Although they did make me want to see how Jack gets out of his latest pickle next season. Hmm, that's what happened last year too.
* CSI - It's not terrible, but it's not that good either. For some reason I can't stop watching it though. The season finale pissed me off because they took about the only piece of character development for the whole season and put it in the last moments of the season finale with no explanation. That seems like cheating to me.
* Lost - I still like it even though this season wasn't as compelling for me. Initially I thought the introduction of the "Tailies" would give the show a welcome infusion of new blood, but what ended up happening (at least for me) was that it resulted in less screen time for the characters that we already knew and had grown to like (or like hating). The plots seemed a bit meandering this season until near the end, when they seemed to pick up a little bit. And you know, I care not a whit for political correctness, but I love the diversity of the people on this show. Most shows are so racially segregated that I find it refreshing that "Lost" looks more like the real world. I will definitely be there for season 3.

I had to ditch HBO back in December, so unfortunately I was not on board for season 6 of The Sopranos. It's going to be a long wait for those DVDs!

So that's it for another TV season, I'm actually looking forward to a bit of a break from TV shows over the summer!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

I've never gotten into Lost although everyone I know loves it. We've been watching the Sopranos...not sure what I think. We're anxiously awaiting Entourage and Project Runway starts in July so even though the network stuff is off, I've got summer viewing all lined up!!

6/08/2006 6:40 AM  
Blogger Liberal Banana said...

Wow, you get a lot of TV watching in! I was obviously addicted to American Idol, but my guy only watches it for the losers at the beginning of the show, like you said you will do next season. Now that it's off, I'm totally into "So You Think You Can Dance?" -- It's awesome. Unfortunately, if you wanted to see the people who thought they could dance but can't, they just finished auditions. It's mesmerizing to watch the good people...I love it!

6/08/2006 8:14 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Kiki - I love Entourage and PR but I have poor-man's cable. So I'm out!

lb - I watch way too much TV. I'm scared to watch that dancing show because I'm afraid I will probably like it. I need a break!

6/08/2006 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home