Thursday, June 01, 2006

School Day 1

The first day of grad school is now behind me. It sounds like the program is going to be pretty interesting, but I spent a good portion of the day feeling lost. I think a lot of that is because they were demonstrating a lot of the online functions of the web interface, and sometimes that kind of stuff doesn't really sink in until you try it yourself. There is basically an online portal for the library science program, and you get your assignments and complete them through this system.

The grade in this class will consist of article critiques (you read an article and post a critique of 250 words or less in a discussion forum, there are a total of 5 critiques to do), a group project of creation of an annotated mediagraphy (like a bibliography but can include CD-ROMs and web sites as well as books and journal articles), discussion questions (you have to respond to the questions given by the instructor or respond to someone else's posting), and a leadership activity. Today was the only day that we actually meet in person, the rest of the class is via the internet! The next four days are for the other class that I am taking.

It looks like the gender imbalance in library science is alive and well. There were 47 people in the class today, only 8 of whom were men. I think I actually expected fewer. Maybe I can get a minority scholarship!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

Hey! I almost got a masters in Library Science. But then I went with Information Technology instead. Not really my point, the point is, you can TOTALLY do it. Grad school is so amazing. It's fun, hard (but not really hard, more like grunt work, and a whole lot of it) and look at those odds! 5 women to 1 man! WOOOT

6/11/2006 12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home