Sunday, June 04, 2006

4 Down, 1 To Go

I have one day of on-campus class left, and then it's time to actually start doing the work! Today I had a day where I could just feel the light bulb coming on, it was very cool. It was the first day of class that I felt like I really knew what the professor was talking about! And it's way early for this, so I'm "curbing my enthusiasm" somewhat, but if I like this class as much as I think I am going to then I am definitely onto something here. I found myself totally geeking out today and getting really excited about the possibilities of the project that we will be doing for the class.

I won't get into too much detail because it will probably bore the socks off anyone reading this (as if anyone is still reading anyway!), but here is a little bit about the class. It is called Intro to Information Organization. For our project we have to set up an information organization system for a collection of objects of our choosing. Most of the people in the class are doing book collections, but we are not limited to books so I am doing DVDs. We have to set up a database with some records describing the objects, and then create a user interface for people to search our collection. We have to actually get a person to test our system out and then evaluate how well our system works. The professor makes it sound like most people's systems have major issues during the testing phase, but the important thing is whether we analyze the causes of the failures correctly and adequately describe what went wrong. We'll see if I still like it when our fourth and final portion of the documentation is due around the end of July, but so far it seems really interesting to me. I am big on organizing things, at least things that interest me. On my own I have already set up a couple of spreadsheets tracking various aspects of DVD collection, although these were much simpler than the project I will be undertaking.

And I need to get used to writing in third-person present tense! But not on here, that would just be weird.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I think it's great that you are diggin this class. It's a good sign.

6/04/2006 11:01 PM  
Blogger buffi said...

Wow, JC. That all sounds very....sedating. ;) I'm glad you are already having lightbulb moments. This bodes well!

6/04/2006 11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home