Thursday, October 13, 2005

Nature Boy

Here are a few pictures from my 'hike' the other day. I'm using the quotes because I only walked maybe a total of 300 yards from my house. I lingered in certain spots though so I was gone an hour. It was a nice excursion.




This is the fruit of the Bois D'Arc tree, as kids we used to call them horseapples. When I was younger we had a dog who would play fetch with these in the park:

I didn't see any monarchs that would stay still long enough for me to take a picture, but this little guy was taking a breather:

This isn't the greatest picture compositionally, but these clouds reminded me of a giant fish fossil:





6 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

I wasn't really sure whether horses really eat those things, but one article I found says that they do. Apparently another popular name for them is hedge apples. One site claims that they make an effective insect repellent in your home, in fact they will sell them to you: http://hedgeapple.com/

Maybe I'll put one in my garage and see if it keeps the bugs away!

10/13/2005 11:16 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Karen,

I love the photos on the Farmgirl Fare site. The one from October 12th is amazing! I'll have to add that to my daily list.

And thanks for the link on your blog, can I add you to my links?

10/13/2005 11:23 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Nice pictures. I like the fish fossil one the best. It's an interesting perspective.

10/13/2005 11:43 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I love the fruit - why have I never seen it?? The clouds are beautiful.. You must really be relaxing and enjoying your time to stop and appreciate the world around you - how lovely.

yay!!

(btw - I've looked for crazy Kroger lady every day.. she's been a no go. I guess she made her point!)

10/14/2005 1:39 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

p.s. - I just like to freak Karen out.

:)

10/14/2005 1:39 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Karen,
I'm not sure what the actual 'blog-etiquette' is on this one, but I don't think most people will get mad about this. I just wanted to be polite!

Holli,
You've never seen horse apples before? The trees aren't much to look at so maybe that's why you've never noticed them. Maybe if you put some of them in your apartment you'll never have to worry about spiders. I have had some time to stop and smell the roses so to speak, which is nice.

Thanks, Michelle!

10/14/2005 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home