Monday, October 03, 2005

Freefall

As Sam Elliott said in 'The Big Lebowski', sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar, he eats you.

Today the 'bar' ate me. I got fired today.

As you will know if you've read some of my earlier posts, this was not totally unexpected. It still sucks though. What they claimed it boiled down to were a couple of projects that I didn't complete on schedule. And even though there were legitimate factors as to why these projects could not be completed by the deadlines, the time for arguing was over. There were so many things I wanted to say, but I just kept my mouth shut. I was dealing with it pretty well, I even went to the gym and ran my 5 miles right afterward. I realize now that I won't get off quite that easy emotionally. There will be good moments and bad moments, but I'm trying my best to deal with a difficult situation and stay positive. I think this can lead to a better and more healthy life for me if I do the things I need to do. As I've said before, this may be the push that gets me moving when I was too scared to take that step myself.

It was an interesting 10 years, but I feel good about moving forward. There are still some good people there, and I wish them the best but they now have their own set of concerns that I am happy to leave behind. I have no intention of becoming a total bum, but I need a few days to get my head right and figure out where I go from here. I still hope to post about stupid things, like how great the second episode of Extras was last night or the continuing genius of Arrested Development. Or how to stretch a package of Ramen noodles into 3 meals. I think I'm going to be watching lots of funny things in the near future to keep my spirits up. So, I guess them's the breaks. I'll see you on the other side!

11 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Oh Mr JC, I am sorry. I think you are tres cool for doing a 5 mile run and I agree that you will have good days and bad days. I hope the bad ones aren't too bad and that the good ones are spectacular. If it helps at all, my big ass and I are really pulling for you.

10/03/2005 11:04 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Also,
Now would be a good time to go aheaad and indulge in those cookies you bought at Ikea :)

10/03/2005 11:07 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Thanks, that means a lot coming from the both of you! ;)

10/03/2005 11:08 PM  
Blogger JC said...

And also, I'm one step ahead of you. I was glad to see the cookies when I got home!

10/03/2005 11:09 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/03/2005 11:22 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Uh, one last thing, I meant to say, "I am off to bed" not "I am off to be but" (what the hell could that even mean anyway?). Shows that you should not drink beer before posting comments.

10/03/2005 11:25 PM  
Blogger cassy said...

I'm sorry JC. I can imagine that no matter how expected it is, it still bites when it happens.

Now, though, you're right - you can do what will be better for you and your life.

Take some time, chill out, enjoy not having to get up and go to work. And in a week or so, start the job search in earnest. Relax for a bit.

Hang in there! We're ALL pulling for you. If you need to vent, you're welcome to email me as well.

10/04/2005 8:07 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Thanks so much for all the kind words everyone!

10/04/2005 5:58 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Oh holy shit!!! I wasn't expecting this - but I do think it happened for a reason.. you weren't happy, and you obviously did need a push to get you out of your comfort zone.

I know - I KNOW you are going to like your next job much better.. so maybe in the end, this was a blessing in disguise. But it is still the worst feeling to have the unexpected.

Hopefully in a few weeks we can all be together toasting something positive for SOMEONE at the concert.. because I - well..

whatever. Good things are around the corner. Eat cookies.

10/04/2005 7:21 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

How are you? Are you doing okay??

10/05/2005 4:27 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Holli,

I'm hanging in there, thanks for asking. I think I'm still trying absorb what has happened at this point.

10/05/2005 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home