Monday, October 03, 2005

Blue Store, Meet Red State

Yesterday was really great. I never thought that shopping could be so much fun. We ended up spending 5 and a half hours (!) at IKEA. About an hour and 15 minutes of that was eating lunch. I escaped with minimal damage, the only things I bought were a $10 wine rack, some chocolate wafer things for Mabel, and a box of cookies (I am not sure why I bought these cookies, no one else wanted to eat any of them and I now have a giant box of cookies that I don’t really want or need to eat - impulse buying sucks!). It was interesting how they have the Swedish names for all of the items. Some of them are really funny like ‘Muck’. The wine rack I bought is called ‘Vurm’. Mabel couldn’t stop laughing over ‘Skrud’. I guess it just goes to show you how stupid furniture names are because here they don't mean a thing. Usually it's "Yes, I would like to see the Buttress of Windsor in the Camel Hump brown" or somesuch. Whatever. I've also now been inspired to create a children's cartoon called 'Billy Bookcase': "Hey kids, want to read a book? Well, gather 'round 'ol Billy!" Just imagine the Mr. Hankey voice.

The store was pretty crowded, and usually I can’t handle being around that many people for that long, but I guess I was having too much fun to be bothered by it. Lunch was kind of fun, it was like being back at the school cafeteria where you get a tray and go through the line. I’m now up on Lingonberries, I had the Lingonberry Tort, Lingonberry Juice, and Lingonberry Jam. I would say that if you have any interest at all in furniture or home decorating, the trip to IKEA is worth it. To those of you who have had IKEA forever, you may think "Why is everyone in Texas making such a big deal out of IKEA?". Well, us yokels have only had our store for 2 months. I'm sure we'll become as jaded as everyone else after a while.

I pretty much went in with the attitude that I didn’t really need to buy anything right now, so I didn’t get my heart set on buying anything major. I definitely would like to go back sometime. Everyone seemed pretty exhausted at the end of the day. I thought I was feeling OK until I started my drive home, and then I realized that I was pretty wiped out too. I didn’t really learn too much more about what makes Mabel tick – a giant furniture store is not exactly the best place for intimate conversation. Hopefully I won’t have to wait 5 weeks to go out with her again (I need to ask about the Aimee Mann concert).

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

yes, you do need to ask Mabel before all the tickets sell out. Not that you could get intimate conversation there - but at least you can go early and have a drink before the show starts.. unlike the last place Aimee played, where we all stood outside like cattle.

10/03/2005 1:42 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Actually I already purchased 2 tickets, so if Mabel doesn't want to go I'll have to try and find someone else to go.

10/03/2005 1:54 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'll go. Oh wait, the drive might not be worth it. Plus, I have to admit that I haven't listen to AM since she was with her band "Till Tuesday" but that's only because I spend all my money on races rather than CD's and they don't play her on the radio here at all.

Glad to hear you got to see Mabel and that it was fun.

10/03/2005 2:05 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Michelle,

I was a big fan of the Til Tuesday song "Voices Carry" back in the day, and then being the big movie nerd that I am I was re-introduced to AM by the 'Magnolia' soundtrack.

10/03/2005 10:53 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You know, I never saw Magnolia. I think that came out while I was busy with college stuff. I may have to rent it.

10/03/2005 11:06 PM  
Blogger JC said...

It's kind of a sprawling mess of a film, but there's some powerful stuff in there.

10/03/2005 11:12 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Anne,

The invitation has been extended. We'll see if Mabel and her textbooks decide to show up!

10/03/2005 11:13 PM  
Blogger cassy said...

Love, love, love Ikea!!!

I have a box of those cookies too. They are good medicine for depression - well, that and Lexapro! ;-)

Glad you at least asked her. Hopefully she will show!

And I still love the song "voices carry"!

I'm so excited for the concert! yay!

10/04/2005 8:12 AM  
Blogger JC said...

I got a negatory response from Mabel today about the concert - her cousin is getting married in Austin that day. Maybe I can sell my extra ticket for more Ramen noodles for my unemployed ass. Well, at least now I can meet all you 'blog chicks' ;) without having to explain how I know you...

10/04/2005 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home