Monday, October 10, 2005

The First Weekend of the Rest of My Life

Friday after my last post I decided to go for a little hike. It was such a nice day and there were some interesting clouds, so I brought my camera. I am supposed to get my film back tomorrow, so I will post more on this with pictures tomorrow. I enjoy photography, but I haven't gotten on the digital camera bandwagon yet. I started to get a headache right before I went out. Since I may have to get by without health insurance for some period of time I thought it might be good to try and fight through some of the headaches I get instead of relying on Imitrex. So I thought I would fight through it and go to bed early. When I got back from my hike and ate dinner I started to feel better, and the headache eventually went away. Cool.

For dinner I made mashed potatoes. I love mashed potatoes but I don't make them very often because it takes more prep time than I usually wanted when I was working. They were good and I even had the leftovers for lunch on Saturday. Let's see how many meals I can get out of this 5 lb, $3.29 cent bag of potatoes. Quite a few I'll wager.

Saturday it was time to run again. My leg still hurt some and I seriously considered Michelle's advice to give it a rest. But I didn't. I did one lap around the neighborhood and then headed for the middle school because I knew they had a track. I wasn't sure if was the rubber, squishy kind but thankfully it was! That track felt really nice to run on. It's about a 4 and a half minute run from my house, I think I will definitely be using it some more. My leg did OK and yesterday actually had no pain. Saturday morning the pain actually felt a little different than Friday, it didn't really feel like my hamstring anymore. I think it actually may have been my adductor. Not sure if it was the adductor longus or adductor magnus. And yes, I have too much time on my hands. I think I just wanted to say 'adductor longus'.

Saturday after my run was very nice. For some reason I was struck by a sense of quiet. Even though everyone in the neighborhood was home from work and I had to make a few phone calls, I just had a feeling of peace and quiet. I sat by the window in my kitchen reading one of my books. Maybe the quiet was coming from inside myself. Whatever the case, I'll take it!

Sunday I wasn't feeling quite as good. In the morning I found out my great uncle passed away. He's been quite ill with emphysema for several years now. He smoked for a long time in his younger days. It certainly wasn't unexpected, but it still makes me sad. He was a very interesting person and I'm glad that he's no longer suffering.

I finally talked to my parents last night and told them about my situation. They have always been very supportive of me, and this was no different. My mom is pretty gung-ho about my plan to find a true calling. I think I was apprehensive because it adds a different level of pressure. Now instead of having to remove the burden of being jobless for myself, I have to remove it for them as well. I think their support will help me more than the extra burden will hurt though.


Blogger Michelle Fry said...

Very nice post. I am glad your leg feels okay. So, if the track was a 4 and a half minute run from your house, that's about a mile right?

10/10/2005 4:33 PM  
Blogger JC said...

TWO miles.


10/10/2005 5:41 PM  
Blogger Michelle Fry said...

What? But you look so buff and overly confident in the "Rent this space" photo on my blog.

10/10/2005 11:43 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hi JC,
I made my way over here from Holli's blog.

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle's passing. It's never easy to lose someone, no matter the circumstances.


10/11/2005 1:26 PM  
Blogger JC said...


Thanks for the kind words. I'll have to check out your blog.


OK, I really run about an 8 and half minute mile. I haven't done any work on my pace in a while. The leg feels A-OK now!

10/11/2005 7:52 PM  
Blogger Michelle Fry said...

Glad your leg feels better. I want to get to where I can run a whole 26.2 at 8 and half min miles but that's going to take a while. I can do a half marathon at that pace though. Ah, more goals to work on. Ever watch Bevis and Butthead? Sometimes I swear I am Beavis when he drinks too much cola while he's working at Taco Bell and becomes "Cornholio".

10/12/2005 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home