Sunday, September 18, 2005

Handsome Boy Modeling School

Yesterday I had a fair amount of dread during the day because I told my new neighbor that I would come to her housewarming party. It was kind of sprung on me a couple of weeks ago while I was out in the yard, and since I didn't have time to think of a good excuse I said I would go. I could have claimed to have forgotten, but on Friday my neighbor happened to be outside when I went to check my mail, so she asked if I was still coming. Being too polite to say no, I said yes. So, yesterday I was trying to think of how I could claim to be sick or something. Sad, I know. It's just that being in a situation like that without anyone I know to fall back on makes me extremely nervous. When I moved into my house 4 years ago I went to my other neighbors housewarming party by myself, and it was pretty rough. Since I'm not very outgoing I just don't feel comfortable in those situations. Anyway, I ended up going, and like most things that I dread it didn't end up being that bad. I thought I would leave after an hour or so, but I felt bad about it so I ended up staying about 3 hours! The people that were there seemed pretty laid back and nice, so overall it went pretty well. I had visions of creating a Curb Your Enthusiasm type of scenario by knocking over the food table or something, but it didn't happen.

I did a little bit of job searching on the internet over the weekend and I found one listing that I thought was kind of funny. JC Penney has their corporate headquarters here, so for shits and giggles I looked to see what kind of openings they have. They are looking for a 'fit model' for men's medium size. I thought it was kind of funny because I match almost all of the measurements, although my chest might be too small. Basically it sounds like you try on clothes and provide feedback about how they fit. But it also sounds like when you're not trying on clothes you're a secretary. It also says they pay up to $25 an hour depending on your experience. I don't have any modeling experience so they would probably pay me much less, but if someone wanted to pay me $25 an hour to try on clothes, I would ask where to sign up. The hard part would be that you have to maintain your measurements within a half-inch. Yikes. I don't know if any of you ever saw the TV show 'Get a Life', but this job listing reminds me of Chris going to the 'Handsome Boy Modeling School'. Of course, for this job you could be as ugly as me and it still wouldn't matter because all they care about is what size you are. Check out the listing here. I'm not sure, but I don't think this is the career that will will emerge as my fit (ha!)after reading the books I have on order.

p.s. After the nice weather on Friday, it looks like Mother Nature will be bitch-slapping us here in North Texas with highs in the upper 90s all week. Drag.

13 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

JC,
I used to love "Get a life" but now I'm pictuing you as Chris Elliot trying on clothes and striking a pose. Too funny.

9/18/2005 10:52 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I have the Volume 1 DVD set of Get a Life (it's only 4 episodes), and thinking about this made me want to get Volume 2 (also only 4 episodes), but after I checked it out today it is out of print and is selling for about $40 used. I'll guess I'll just have to live with Volume 1 until they decide to release all the episodes someday.

9/19/2005 1:24 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

JC,
Damn it's weird but that show has a major cult following. Did you ever watch "Parker Lewis can't lose"? I think that was the name of it. It was another hilarious show around the same time.

9/19/2005 8:06 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Yeah, I did watch Parker Lewis. It's funny you mention that, last year when my sister got married everyone went out and got drunk at this bar the night before, and I borrowed a shirt from my cousin that wasn't really the type of shirt I would normally wear and one of my sisters friends said I looked like Parker Lewis. I thought that was pretty funny seeing as how I hadn't heard that name in 10 years.

9/19/2005 9:37 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

JC,
Weird, I kind of pictured you as Parker Lewis.

9/20/2005 6:21 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Michelle,

I'll break it down for you:

I don't think I look too much like Parker Lewis. I'm pretty much a cross between ALF, Napoleon Dynamite, and Farmer Ted from 'Sixteen Candles'. With a goatee.

9/21/2005 9:09 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Holy shit. I was fine with all that, even the Alf thing, till you mentioned the goatee. Perhaps it's time you visited "Hair Force One".

9/21/2005 9:26 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

;)

9/22/2005 5:48 AM  
Blogger JC said...

And another thing, you're OK with the ALF thing but not a goatee? You got issues girl.

9/22/2005 8:06 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I finally read the listing and had to laugh because the handsome boy model needs to know word and excel. What the hell for?

9/23/2005 10:28 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I think it's because he has to be a secretary when he's not 'on the catwalk':

• Performs related clerical and administrative activities such as responding to e-mail, word processing, data entry, processing mail, fax and setting up and maintaining files. Schedules and sets appointments, arranges meetings and maintains manager’s calendars

Sounds like a secretary to me. Now I have to watch that 'Get A Life' episode this weekend.

9/23/2005 10:36 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Geez, I think I had that very same job last year. I had a stint as a receptionist (the job market was really bad) and I swear to god, every guy thinks the receptionist is fair game. I think it's like being a flight attendant. People assume you're easy or something. It was weird. I have never been asked out so many times in my life. Hey, maybe you should go for that job if things don't work out with Mabel.

9/23/2005 11:14 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Michelle,

I think you have to be good looking for that to work.

9/24/2005 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home