Sunday, May 04, 2008

New Tenants

Damn, I should be in bed by now. Lately Sunday evenings have turned into the equivalent of the day before vacation for me - I feel like there are so many things that need to be done before the week starts for real and I end up waiting too late and not getting them all done. Like blog posts!

The end of this school semester is approaching quickly. There was lots of drama with our group project last week, but we got a pretty decent project turned in. Several of the people all but disappeared, and I was writing stuff until a couple of hours before deadline and sending it to the person collating the report. I'm just glad to be done. I have to finish writing a short paper about my internship and then I will be done for the semester. This summer is my last semester. I don't feel the usual feeling of freedom, though, because in the first week of summer semester I have to do the "final project" deal where I have to write 3 papers in one week. Not looking forward to that.

There's a bird construction project taking place on my front porch. Some barn swallows have built a nest of mud and straw out there. I didn't know that they could just build one on the side of a brick wall! I don't see that it will hurt anything, so I'm letting them move in.


It's almost done. I wish I would have taken some more photos during the construction - it was kind of interesting to watch it take shape.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

at first i thought it was a hornet's nest - glad it's cute birds instead.

it's too bad that your group members punted and you took up the slack, but like you said, at least it's done!

i can't believe you're almost done with school. i remember when you were playing around with the idea to become a librarian and now look at you.

5/05/2008 6:36 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

i actually kinda miss swallows. we had them in north dakota, and i love the way they swoop...

5/05/2008 9:41 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Wow-I can't believe you are almost done. And this summer will be it.

Please try to take pictures of the swallows. We don't have them here in Mickey Town.

5/05/2008 12:30 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

FWIW, just be prepared for the fact that once the little birdies come along, the adult barn swallows will likely be very territorial for a while. We had the "what will it hurt" attitude when they nested above a window near our front steps a couple of summers ago and ended up using the back door a lot for a few weeks because they would make strafing runs at our heads when we got too close to their nest (which we had to do to go up the steps to our front porch!!). So I hope you have another entrance. :-/

Cooool on being almost done with school!!

PS...about the Juno soundtrack, I didn't even register that Sea of Love was one of the songs. Now I need to watch it again and listen for that! (I guess it must not have been one of the songs I found annoying, since I don't even remember hearing it!)

5/05/2008 8:50 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

I think after that week of papers you will have a huge weight lifted off your shoulders...until its time to look for a job. ;-) In less than a year your life should calm down a whole lot!!!


~~I know I'm not in the conversation, but Juno is now one of my fav movies--maybe because I was a teen mom...whatever!--I have the soundtrack and I like it! Its so different than everything thats on the radio right now. I just relistened to Sea of Love...I'm digging her voice, maybe I should actually take the time to check out some more of her music!

5/06/2008 2:10 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

is that a swallow nest? You need to set up an automatic cam to get pictures of the little guys as they leave the nest, as it were.

TGSiO...or Thank God School is Over! You and my sister are rockstars.

5/06/2008 2:14 PM  
Blogger JC said...

k - i had to give those group members a negative rating today on our message board. it made me feel really crappy even though i think they deserved it.

v - i love the way they swoop too. i got a photo of one in mid-swoop last summer, i'll have to find it.

pg - i'll try!

d - i'm used to mockingbirds swooping, so i ain't scared!

rb - of course you're in the conversation! sea of love is from her first cover record. it's typical of her in that she takes other people's songs and makes them sound completely different. tom waits has covered sea of love too!

anne - yep. i'll see if i can set up my camera to do that, that would be cool! and thanks!

5/07/2008 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home