Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Work For Free? Why Stop Now!

I'm getting pretty close to the number of hours that I am required to work at the library for my school credit. 120 hours. Last week my supervisor sent me an email and asked if I would be willing to continue working as a volunteer after I finish my assignment. I didn't hesitate very long before saying yes. I like working there (last night I worked at the front desk for an hour and I even liked that!), and I think it will be good experience for my eventual job search. I'll have more leeway with my hours. I shouldn't have to work 6 hours on Saturdays unless I want to. The only reason I had to do those long shifts this semester was so I could fit all of my required hours into the semester. The only hesitation that I have is that I don't like contributing to a phenomenon that is becoming more common in libraries - that they are relying more on volunteers and part-time workers over degreed librarians so that they can save money. Ultimately though I think the experience is too good to pass up.

And now apropos of nothing, I present cardinal photos.



Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger REENblack said...

I haven't been able to get online lately...but CONGRATS on almost being done with the hectic semester!!! That is a great feeling I'm sure! I still think you're crazy working full time, going to school full time, AND working at the library! And now just for shiggles?!?! You will have that extra bit on your resume that will get you the job, and it will all be worth it!

4/09/2008 11:00 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

uh oh. i hate to hear about that library trend. oh, but you know, it's not so new, really. when i was the director at a very small public library its employees were me and a part-time person. then everyday we had a different volunteer who came for 2 or 3 hours at lunchtime to give me time to take mail to the post office or fetch lunch or whatever. hope you're enjoying your work there. other than working the desk, reference desk? what else have you done there?

4/10/2008 9:24 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

When you look for "the" job, the higher ups will LOVE that you volunteered. It shows love and dedication. Some people still value those qualities.

Hey, and I hope you wish on those cardinals.

Is the semester almost over?

4/10/2008 9:25 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

No kidding JC...if you can afford to volunteer, it will do nothing but make you look that much better when you begin looking for an actual job. That's cool.

4/11/2008 12:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, good for you! They must really luff you around there :) When are you done with your degree and when will you be a-searching for a librarian position?

4/11/2008 7:31 PM  
Blogger Amy N. said...

Hey kid! Long time no talk...
I'm stoked that you are almost finished with this crazy semester.
Nifty pics of the birdies!!

4/12/2008 9:52 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

it's really unfortunate that this is what happens in most public libraries.

having said that, i've loved volunteering this year at my girl's school library.

i love cardinals. i think i'm turning into a bird watching geek.

4/13/2008 10:35 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

but maybe not at the Smithsonian!!

I wuv the wittle wed biwd.

4/15/2008 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home