Tuesday, April 01, 2008

It's Time For Some Meme Payback!

OK. I’m way behind on a crapload of tags. No surprise there. But I’m going to try and catch up. This seven things about me is to pay off this and this!

1. School is driving me crazy this semester. In general I have liked most of the online classes I have taken so far. However, this semester I’m taking one class that is kind of a struggle. There’s just not enough structure for me. The prof seems kind of hands-off, and the readings aren’t very specific. For example we’ll have a link to a web page with a bunch of links about our topic and we have to pick something on our own. Some of them are really long and some are short so it’s hard to know what to pick sometimes since stuff that’s too short isn’t meaty enough to write about and the really long stuff is hard to condense. At least they seem to be grading fairly easy!


2. I hate working on Saturdays. The last few weeks when I’ve had to work on Saturday I’ve gotten a migraine either the night before or sometime Saturday. Obviously it’s my body reacting to something it doesn’t want to do. It’s not that I don’t like the library, in fact I do like working there. But having to work 6 hours on Saturday after having worked a full week just doesn’t sit well with my psyche.

3. Cara Cara oranges – I posted a photo of one of these a little while back. I’ve become addicted to these oranges. The inside is kind of a pinkish orange color – they taste like a cross between an orange and a grapefruit. I’ve been eating one of these a day. I know they will be out of season soon enough, so I shouldn’t get sick of them before then. I love oranges, but when I start getting a bunch of them that are dried out and mealy I get grossed out by them. That hasn’t happened yet with these. Does anyone know how to avoid those dried out oranges?


4. My aunt teaches elementary school kids. One time when I was at her house she told me how she teaches her kids to sing one verse of “Old MacDonald” when they wash their hands so that they scrub long enough. Now sometimes I catch myself doing the same thing. Hopefully now some of you will do it too.

5. When I was a little kid I had to have a nightlight in my room when it was time to go to sleep. Now I want it as dark as possible when I sleep. Kind of ironic I suppose.

6.I’m currently playing lots of retro video games. Ever since I saw that Donkey Kong movie my dormant interest in retro video games has been rekindled. I have some retro game collections on my PSP, and I’ve been playing lots of Galaga lately. A little bit of Pac Man too. Unfortunately there’s no Donkey Kong on the discs that I have.

7. Apparently I like strawberry beer. A couple of weeks ago I saw this beer at a local grocery store. Yep, strawberry-flavored beer. Abita makes one of my all-time favorite beers, Turbodog (also one of the best beer names ever), and I liked the pecan beer they came out with last fall so I decided to give this a shot. Beer flavored with fruit has a long tradition in brewing, especially in Belgium, and I’ve found that I enjoy many of these beers. This one is no exception. The strawberry flavor and aroma is subtle, and the beer doesn’t taste overly sweet.

I won't tag anyone. If you want to do this, consider yourself tagged!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm the exact same way with nightlights...I used to HAVE to have them..now the room has blackout shades under the blinds. Even the little blinking power light on the tv bugs me...I should put black tape over it!

I also hate dried out oranges, yuck! I don't like ones with seeds either, or when the membrane is thick and hard to chew. Picky Picky.

4/01/2008 9:33 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

awesome. fun to read.

hey...have you watched Flight of the Conchords yet???

4/01/2008 10:28 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I'd never heard the thing about using the Old McDonald song as a timer. You know I'll do it now! :-)

4/02/2008 5:31 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

i work every saturday and it's taken awhile to get to liking it, but now i do.

i have to try those oranges - i stopped eating them because i have this incredible knack to pick up oranges that are dried out, bleh.

4/02/2008 6:14 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

I am the same way way with lights in the room. I HATE any sort of light. After having a crazy child. I'm already sensitive to sound, it's also light. Oh yes, and sleeping on a mattress that is smaller than the box springs...I rattle on.

Thanks for the old macdonald in my head washing time. Now I will make you sing Weezer's Living in Beverly Hills all day tomorrow, because that's what's in my brain.

How many saturdays to go?

4/02/2008 8:30 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

strawberry beer soujnds like my kind of a beer. i used to really like abita's purple haze but maybe i just liked the name. and ordering it.

Love the OMD song for washing hands!

Finally, I think the oranges get dried out when they are old. If you purchase enough of these caracara perhaps you can memorize what kind of heft they have and apply it to future purchases thereby avoiding the bad ones? I know, it's a theory.

4/04/2008 7:35 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

this meme was great - it reminded me I want to rent that movie.. maybe I'll see if I can get it to take out of town. I always sing Happy Birthday twice when I wash my hands.. and that's the easiest thing for Faith. I can't eat citrus - so me no know about de oranges.

4/05/2008 6:08 PM  
Blogger JC said...

b - i have blackout curtains and I sleep with one of those masks over my face when I'm trying to sleep late.

v - i just started watching it today. i love it!

d - i hope i have spread this compulsion to at least one other person!

k - they rock. try to pick out the heavier ones, i think they're fresher.

pg - i only have 2 more saturdays. BUT...they asked me if i wanted to continue as a volunteer and i told them yes (i like it there and it will help to get as much experience as possible), so there may be more. but i'm going to try not to work more than 4 hours on saturdays in the future.

a - you should try it. they have it at albertson's. and yeah, i'm told that you should try and pick out the heaviest oranges.

h - so i guess it's against your religion to eat citrus? i can't eat grapefruit because of my blood pressure medicine. and i love grapefruit.

4/06/2008 9:33 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

I haven't eaten oranges for a really long time because one summer no matter where or how I chose them they were always dry and tasteless. I think I should give those a try, I love grapefruit!!!

I have told my kids to sing the ABC's while washing their hands...but that has turned into singing it twice because they would sing it so quickly!!!

4/18/2008 7:36 AM  
Blogger REENblack said...

When I was grocery shopping yesterday I got four of the six Cara Cara oranges they had (they were mixed in with naval oranges!)...the one I ate yesterday was soooo good! Thanks, now I'm going to have to continue to buy them for 95 cents each!!! ;-) I guess it is better than eating a candy bar!!!

4/19/2008 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home