Sunday, March 23, 2008

Gogol Bordello - The Sequel

Here's my recap of the Gogol Bordello concert from last week.

I didn't get to the theater too terribly early, but I wanted to get there somewhat early so I could claim a spot where I could lean against the wall and sit on these little ledges that they have to serve as tables when they have chairs in there. So I find a parking spot, put my ticket in my camera bag, and head toward the theater. When I get to the line of people waiting to get in I encountered one of those "oh shit" moments. I opened my camera bag to grab my ticket, only to see no ticket there! I had just kind of set the ticket on top of my camera (there's kind of a gap along the top of the bag), and it was really windy, so I figured the ticket must have blown out of the bag. I started retracing the 5 blocks back to my car hoping that I would see my ticket. I was almost back to the car and I hadn't seen it, so I was trying to decide if I should buy another one when I saw it on the ground about 50 feet from my car. Whew! Note to self: Do not put important tickets unsecured on top of your camera!

The unexpected detour turned out not to detract from my ability to get my desired perch. The opening act was okay but nothing special. By the time GB hit the stage the crowd was definitely ready. I thoroughly enjoyed the show, but I do think that it wasn't quite as "off the hook" as the last time I saw them. Eugene's energy level seemed a little bit lower than last time (which still leaves it far above the average human's). I think there were a couple of reasons for this. The first being that Eugene seemed to be pretty tanked. And the second being that this was the final show of a three week U.S. run, so I'm sure he was pretty gassed. That said, for him to still be in constant motion was pretty amazing. The sound was also a little on the muddy side as well as being pretty loud - when I left I couldn't hear all that well out of my left ear. However, it was still a great show. The final song was insane, it went on for about 20 minutes. Just when you thought they were done, they would crank everything up again for another chorus. Their music is so infectious. If it don't want to make you move something, then nothing ever will. And clapping along has never felt so natural.




You have to click on this one so you can see the look on the drummer's face!




This time he went for a pink wig instead of a red one.






Eugene plays a mean fire bucket.







Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

I really need to call you tomorrow - I should be done fweaking by then.

I felt like I was reading the JC version of the ticket moment on Polar Express!! You should have ended with a dance about a hot beverage!!

I'm scared of that band in these pictures. I don't know why.

ggGGG.

3/23/2008 10:19 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

I'm intrigued by Gogol Bordello, sounds like it was good fun.

3/24/2008 6:23 AM  
Blogger Cory said...

Whew, I'm glad you found your ticket. The same thing happened to me at a Texans football game, but I never found my ticket =( My friend and I searched for almost an hour...then went and had margaritas instead.

3/24/2008 8:39 AM  
Blogger JC said...

h - No need to be scared. 'Lessen you're scared to RAWK!

I did a dance about apple cider.

GGggg

k - You have to go see them, I think you would really like it!

c - you must always secure the ticket.

3/24/2008 9:13 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Apple Cider?! Like Hornsbys or Woodchucks?! Or are we talking the boring non-alcoholic apple cider...I looooooooooooooove cider. It's my fave.

"lessen you're scared to rock" bwahahahahahaha...

3/25/2008 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home