Saturday, March 01, 2008

We Actually Matter This Time?

Last night I went to vote in the Presidential primary. It was the last night of early voting. Ever since the 2000 election I have tried to vote during the early voting period whenever I can. In 2000 I went out to vote at about 6 PM on Election Day, and I almost didn't get to vote because the lines were so long. Anyway, last night I didn't get there until 6 again, and there was a pretty long line. It took me about an hour to get through the line and vote. Next time I need to try and go before the last day because the poll workers said that the lines had been a lot shorter in previous days.

Although the lines may have been shorter prior to the last day, turnout for early voting has been blowing away the turnout from the last 2 Presidential primaries. Like by a factor of 4. Obviously the fact that the Democratic nominee hasn't been decided yet is having a big impact. This is the first time since 1988 that either party has had an up-for-grabs race at the time of the Texas primary. It's been quite the change of pace to have the candidates spending so much time campaigning here. Usually Texas gets completely ignored. I've seen and heard tons of radio and television commercials, gotten several mail ads, and I've even gotten a couple of robocalls from candidates. It's kind of cool to feel like we have a say for once. It shall be interesting.

3 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

I wish Kentucky had an earlier primary. I feel so left out of it all! By the time we have ours (in May) I've no doubt it'll all be decided one way or another, and the actual nomination will be merely a formality.

3/02/2008 5:28 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

It is strange - normally Oklahoma and Texas are completely ignored, as are the white male voters - and that's supposed to be the swing vote.. so you're a double-whammy!

3/03/2008 9:37 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I swung by there friday but the line was out the door 20 people deep. No freaking thanks BASTIDS! So that'll be me doing it tomorrow. yay.

3/03/2008 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home