Sunday, February 10, 2008

Never A Dull Moment?

On Tuesday I worked at the library circulation desk for the first time. I felt like such an idiot because we couldn’t exactly shut everything down for me to learn how to do everything. So I had to stumble my way through as there were people waiting to be checked out. And of course all kinds of craziness had to happen that resulted in me always having to ask “how do I do that?”. People were signing up for cards, wanting to replace their old cards, trying to check out more than the allowed number of DVDs, returning stuff, asking if they had late fees, etc.

We had two people come in with the craziest names. One was a rather rotund gentleman with a long white beard. He wanted to know if the book he was returning was considered overdue. I took his card and scanned it and then I almost did a spit take when his name came up. It was Santa Claus! Middle initial M. I was thinking it had to be a joke, but one of the other people working there said that they had asked the guy about it before and he said that was his real name. That his family name was “Claus”. I guess his parents thought it would be super to name their kid Santa. I bet that was lots of fun for him in school. And I guess he knew what he would be when he grew up. Although maybe he’s gone the other way with it and is a total scrooge. Then we had a guy come in to sign up for a library card. He gave me his driver’s license and I almost spit again. Last name: Terry. First name: Terry. Terry Terry. BoBerry. I bet school was fun for him too. Parents, don’t do that crap! You may think it’s funny, but kids are mean and your kid with the funny name will end up hating you. We also had the police show up because one of the librarians had some rowdy kids in his area. The funny thing about all this is that it was a relatively slow night!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I am dumbfounded about Santa Clause. I love odd names. I work with Medical software that's used to schedule patient appointments and I love looking at the names. I swear to god that on one day we got a call about a Richard Poker and a Michael Weener. I wondered if Mr Poker ever went by "Dick".

2/10/2008 8:15 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

LOL I can't believe some parents! When we were naming our kids we tried to think of every possible mean nickname kids could use on our kids! Seriously!

Although it sounds like you were overwhelmed, I'm sure you did great! It will get easier as you go, and this is perfect practice for the job you will get after you graduate!

2/11/2008 1:56 PM  
Blogger paintergirlFLA said...

terry terry...that is the worst, and the funniest. poor santa.

2/11/2008 8:25 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Richard Poker. Hee!

I forgot to mention that all of this craziness took place in the span of one hour. I'm sure it was a fluke.

2/11/2008 8:56 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

So? Was Santa's book overdue? And what was the book?

Keep up the good work hotshot!

2/13/2008 11:19 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I knew a girl in college whose first name was Dorothy. (Well, I assume it still is. Heh.) She then dated, and ultimately married, a guy whose last name was Dorothy, and instead of keeping her maiden name, she took the traditional route of taking his last name and therefore became Dorothy Dorothy. Seriously.

Another favorite name story of mine is when my sister ran across the name Connie Lingus in the course of a job she used to have. The really sad thing is that only one other person in her office understood why she thought that name was funny!

2/13/2008 9:34 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

what a hilarious string of events. and people think a librarian's life is boring!!

2/14/2008 4:37 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

oh yeah, parents can be so cruel. i went to college with a guy called Brian O'Brien.
back when i worked at a multinational, i had this colleague who used to spend his slow hours searching our intranet e-mail database for weird names. omg he came up with all sorts of hilarious combinations... but i guess the best one was in the office right there with us -a guy whose last name was Bastard. poor devil.

2/14/2008 4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home