Sunday, April 13, 2008

Stormy Weather

We had a bout of fairly nasty weather here early Thursday morning. It was about 4AM. I was asleep, but I heard it start to thunder and I knew that they were saying there could be severe storms overnight, so I turned on the TV and looked at the weather radar. Holy S, those little circles that they use to indicate rotation were right over where I live, and there were about 5 of them! I switched over to one of the local stations to hear what the weather man had to say and he said that there was a tornado warning for my area. And then right after that my power went out. I have a battery powered radio that receives TV signals, so I grabbed that and got in the closet. I couldn't have been in there more than a couple of minutes when they said that the warning was lifted. Yay, no tornado at my house! I went back to sleep and my power came back on a little later (I could tell since my ceiling fan started turning again).

I'm glad my power came back, because there are apparently still people in the Dallas area who don't have power as of today. Yesterday there was an article in the paper that said that the National Weather Service has determined that there were 8 tornadoes that morning in this area, including one about 8 miles down the highway from where I live. When I drove to work that morning I saw lots of signs blown down, including a McDonald's with the arches blown off of the sign. I'm very thankful that there was no damage to my house.

Switching gears, tonight I'm going to see Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band in concert. I'm pretty excited, I've never seen them before. I wouldn't say that I am a huge fan. I know 2 people who are really into Bruce, and mostly I just want to see what all the fuss is about. When I was a kid I had "Born In The U.S.A" on cassette, but I never had any of his other albums. But I definitely think the guy has something and I have a lot of respect for how he's still out there doing his thing at a high level. I think he's a great songwriter too. So I am definitely looking forward to it. I'll write a report at some point this week.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

You need to write a book about your tour of living legends. I hope you have a really good time tonight. Nana and Poppy (on a different note) are getting a weather radio that goes off when there is tornado warning because they just aren't waking up with the alarms - which is terrible because the sirens are right outside their window!!! I forgot how crazy it was here during this season!

4/13/2008 8:49 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Damn, that's scary stuff! People often ask me if I get scared living way out in the country and mostly the answer is no, but I have to admit that when they start talking about tornadoes in the area I get a little freaked out, and the middle of the night scares are the worst. So glad you (and your house) are ok!!!

4/13/2008 10:23 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

Wow, thats pretty scary...and its just the beginning isn't it??? Glad you didn't have to stay in the closet too long...that couldn't have been comfy!

(Its been raining here for about 36 hours, I'm sure our basement has some nice puddles of water in it...and I'm assuming I'm going to have to get used to having tornadoes around too!!! I'm not looking forward to that!)

4/18/2008 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home