Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Self Portrait Challenge - Black and White 1



I was trying to think of a self portrait that I could do while I was in Alabama over the last few days. I decided to take a picture that would show me in my grandmother's back yard, which I previously posted pictures of here. I love that yard, and I'm not sure if I will ever be there again (the house will be sold at some point). So I thought it might be nice to have a picture of me standing there. The empty chair was totally unplanned, but it seemed to fit since that is where my gramma used to sit when we ate dinner around the table there. I suppose there's no reason why this photo should be in black and white, but it lends it a kind of documentary quality that seems to suit the occasion.

See more self portraits here.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

When I saw your pic, I thought, oh, there's so much to explore in that. Reading your description I see that it is incredibly so. I'm sure every element of that pic has a tale to tell. I'm glad you captured the moment.

2/06/2007 9:08 PM  
Blogger Tish said...

Very nice photo!

2/06/2007 9:16 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I really want to see this moment in time, which means I'll have to actually get out of bed. sigh. tomorrow. it's taken nearly 2 days to get here. hugs.

2/07/2007 12:24 AM  
Blogger Vedrana M. said...

great photo, it tells a story.. beautiful!

2/07/2007 3:03 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

This is such a great photo JC, I love the reflections and also, that you're in your grandma's backyard.

2/07/2007 5:41 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

This is so very beautiful and sweet.

2/07/2007 8:15 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

super cool and i love the sentiment!

2/07/2007 10:06 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

This is my favorite image from this week's challenge.I lost my grandmother last year, so this is particularly poignant for me.

2/07/2007 10:37 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

That is such a cool pic. I love it. This is definitely one to save - maybe have framed.

xoxo

2/07/2007 8:24 PM  
Blogger Jeremy Stockwell said...

Nicely done, JC. I love it when a picture 'accidentally' turns out better than you ever intended. I really like the empty chair pulled out from the inside table. I also like that the table & chairs indoors are mirrored by the table & chair outdoors. Is that your camera bag sitting on the patio table? I'm imagining that the color palette might have been a bit too busy, with both indoor and outdoor elements, so I think this works really well as a black & white shot.

2/08/2007 1:30 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Great SPC photo. I missed it again this week because I was sick.

2/11/2007 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home