Saturday, January 27, 2007

Back To The Movies

In the last week I've actually seen a couple of movies in the theater. My movie going has slowed down tremendously since I started school. And I'm starting to be old-fogeyish enough that I prefer to watch stuff at home more than in the theater. No people talking, crunching popcorn, or generally being asshats. Aside from me, that is. I've been really wanting to see Pan's Labyrinth, but I'm supposed to wait for a friend to see it with me, and his schedule keeps getting in the way.

Last week I went to see Notes On a Scandal, with Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench. I thought it was really good. It's quite the dark film, and it does a good job of portraying an oppressive air of obsession. And it doesn't hurt that the two leads are among the very best actresses around today. Today I saw The Queen. I think Helen Mirren definitely deserves her Oscar nomination. And what do you know, James Cromwell is in it and today's his birthday. I thought it was interesting to see how Tony Blair was portrayed as being "a man of the people" back in 1997, and now he is almost completely at odds with British public opinion in the wake of his war stance.

Today's birthdays are brought to you by the Pillsbury doughboy. Give 'em a shout-out, won't you?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

I love Tricky from his MA days and Maxinquaye remains one of my fav cds. Did you ever get that one? The squeezy Pillsbury dough people were among my favorite toys when I was little. I've thought about trying to find some again. I seriously want to see the Queen. This is such a rambling comment, but I'm doing it via cell phone. Thanks for continuing to support my laziness! And I'll say hello to myself. Thanks for the bday shout out! Hugs!

1/27/2007 7:30 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

I think I am completely out of touch with current movies. The Queen I know about. I'm jealous.
A big shout out to "The Beastmaster". I knew about GE Smith, and I always thought there was such a sadness about him.

1/27/2007 9:18 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

I'm dying to see Pan's Labyrinth myself but I'm hard-pressed to find someone to go to the movies with me and in my suburban oasis there are no matinees during the week, feh.

1/28/2007 2:36 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh, I'm salivating over your recent movie viewings. I was supposed to see Pan's Labrynth last night but didn't get to. I'm dying to see it as well as the other two you mentioned. I did see Children of Men.

1/28/2007 10:27 PM  
Blogger Chickytava said...

I saw Pan's Labyrinth this weekend, and it was excellent, great, freakish, scary, dark, morose, tragic, graphic, and borderline bizarre. In fact, I'm still thinking about it. Definitely go see it at the theater!!!

1/29/2007 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home