Monday, February 19, 2007

Little Birdy

Holy shit. I finally went to see Pan's Labyrinth today. What a great movie. It's like a fairy tale for adults, with all of the darkness and weirdness that that implies. If it wasn't a foreign film there is no doubt that it would be a deserving Best Picture nominee and winner. This is the kind of movie that restores my faith in what movies are capable of being. Go see it.

Yesterday I went out looking for the bluebirds that I saw a few weeks ago, this time armed with my telephoto lens. Unfortunately I didn't see the bluebirds, but I sure saw some red birds.


I like how cardinals stand out in the winter time, even when far away.










Well, I know what a cardinal sounds like now. Now I just need to figure out what a bluebird sounds like.


Cardinals are actually more skittish than I expected. They wouldn't let me get too close.



Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

I love cardinals. I really want to see Pan. I loved the Devils Backbone. Is there a way to click around on metacritic? That's the only thing I don't like on there - I couldn't click to see what else he had directed, and I knew I recognized the name. Hellboy, not so much. Actually, I didn't see Hellboy - but I will ignore that because I loved TDB and Pan sounds awesome. Anything that is exquisitely violent with saturated orange and blue? A modern day Alice in Wonderland?

What's going on down there? Orb videos, Pan? Following red birds? Next you'll be posting pics of white rabbits. Or your toothbrush holder will be a little man wearing a hat. And he'll be smiling at you.

2/20/2007 12:46 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Sweet cardinals. We made DIY birdfeeders out of oj cartons just so I could see the cardinals. And bluebirds...I love those chubby little guys. I saw a few just a couple of times in Atlanta. They looked so fat and happy. I don't remember what their chirp is like.
Hollii has me laughing about white rabbits. Maybe jc will find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and he'll be the one laughing.

2/20/2007 7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way cardinals stand out in the winter time too! Now that you know what they sound like you will see them all the time!

2/20/2007 9:31 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

Cardinals are my favorite bird of all. I get all excited when I see them. I'm dying to see Pan but haven't ventured to a movie by myself for awhile now.

2/20/2007 12:41 PM  
Blogger Tish said...

Awww, I love cardinals!!

2/20/2007 8:11 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Pan's Labarynth was amazing. I got to see that and Notes on a Scandal last weekend. Now I need to see Last King of Scotland, the Queen, and Volver.

2/22/2007 11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home