Saturday, August 26, 2006

Chile Time

It's that time of year again when the Hatch chile peppers start to show up around here. Last night I made some sauce - I really love that stuff! I've been wondering if the actual Hatch chiles taste any different from Anaheim peppers. They're actually the same plant, the Anaheim came about when someone took some of the seeds from New Mexico chiles and started to grow them in California. However, they are supposed to taste different because of the different soils and climates in which they grow. I can buy that explanation, it's basically the whole basis of the wine industry. A grape grown in California doesn't make the same wine as it would if it were grown in France. I guess someday I'll have to make some sauce with Anaheims and see if it tastes different.

These are the roasted chiles. The skin must be removed before dicing.


Here are the diced chiles ready to go into the sauce.


Here's the sauce simmering. The onion chunks are pretty big - I was getting lazy by the time onion slicing came around.


Voila. This is my version of tacos al carbon.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

That does look so good! What is the base for your sauce? Is it cream? Please excuse the ignorant East Coaster.

8/28/2006 2:34 PM  
Blogger Tish said...

Yum. A man who cooks!

8/28/2006 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home