Friday, August 18, 2006

Loose Ends

* First off I want to thank everyone for all of the advice about facial moisturizer. So it looks like I can't get away without at least an occasional scrub, and I can live with that. One thing I forgot to mention is that I am still trying to avoid harmful chemicals as much as possible, so I think I may go with a different brand than anyone suggested. I still refer to this web page that rates cosmetics on the harmful chemicals they contain. My plan right now is to try this and this. I think my skin is probably combination oily instead of combination dry now that I look at the definitions again. The EWG site rates this particular line fairly well (0.4 with 5 being the worst rating, a higher score is worse for number of harmful ingredients), although I'm not thrilled with what it has to say about padimate O and vitamin E. Also, this stuff t'aint cheap. But that can probably be said about a lot of these types of products. Anyway, thanks for the help and if I don't like this stuff I'm buying I may look into some of the things you all suggested.

Oh, and I thought it funny that Noxzema was mentioned because I just had some Noxzema trivia on my trivia calendar. According to the calendar, pharmacist George Bunting was inspired to name his skin cream Noxzema after a customer reported that the cream "sure knocked out my eczema". So the name supposedly comes from "knocks eczema". The original name was Dr. Bunting's Sunburn Remedy. I'm a trivia nerd.

* I wear a contact lens in my left eye. That's why in pictures it looks like I have two different colored eyes since the contact has a slight blue tint. Well, today I realized as I entered the highway that I forgot to put my contact in this morning. I can see pretty well without it, so it's not always immediately obvious when I forget it, unless I'm driving. Since I didn't leave any margin for error in my commute time, and I have been late 3 out of 4 days this week, I decided to press on without it today. It makes me feel a little weird since things don't quite look right. That kind of suits the way I feel, though. The eye doctor always seems curious about my eyes because the left eye is something like 20/400 and the right is 20/40 or so. Apparently that can be an indicator of eye problems, but so far they haven't found anything that is a concern.

* I guess my bush trimming satisfied the gods of the homeowners association. I haven't received any follow-up letters about it. Now that you can see the transformer box the shrubbery kind of defeats its own purpose (to steal a line from Raging Bull), but it's still better than having to cut it down completely.

* The dermatitis is gone! I shall never use fabric softener again.

*Check out the Virgin Mary chocolate dripping!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Liberal Banana said...

I don't like to use too many chemicals on my skin either, so I get my facial products at Whole Foods - do you have those in TX? It's hard to find anything that's not filled with chems at normal stores. You may have to buy online!

8/18/2006 11:47 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I love the fact about Noxema!! I love weird facts like that too.

Did you ever find any ratings for the LUSH stuff?

Glad you got your bush under control!

8/18/2006 2:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck with your new facial products...keep us updated on how you like them...Im always down with trying something new.

About your bush - they all need a good trim every now and then! Personally, Im a fan of the ol' slash and burn method.

8/18/2006 5:23 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

Glad you've got no mo' dermatitis! I'm glad you'll be trimming your bush and moisturizing....suddenly you are a high maintenance man!

8/18/2006 7:27 PM  
Blogger BJ said...

WELL!!!!! The bush thing and moisturizing stuff all in one. Um, do you trim the bush then moisturize or moisturize then trim the bush! Don't really want to know. Just thought it to be amusing while writing about it.

8/18/2006 9:30 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

All the Aubrey organics products are good. Lately I've discovered and love this brand: Alba

8/18/2006 10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha, AWESOME FACTS!!!!

8/19/2006 3:21 PM  
Blogger JC said...

LB - We do have Whole Foods, and we also have a place called Sprouts that sells lots of natural products. But I usually buy online since it's quite a bit cheaper.

H - Unfortunately they still don't rate the LUSH products on there.

8/21/2006 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home