Friday, August 25, 2006

A Building With a View

One of the great things about the infranets is that now I can bore complete strangers with my vacation photos – I’m not just limited to friends and family anymore! Anyway, I’ve got a few more Memphis photos to post.

As we were walking around in the warehouse district in Memphis, one of my friends struck up a conversation with a guy that was at this flea market type of thing where they were giving away old furniture and other things that were cleaned out of a lot of the old buildings. It turns out this guy was some type of developer, and he said he could take us inside the building in the above picture.

The building was built in the late 1800's



After we looked around for a bit, the guy asked us if we wanted to go up to the roof. Of course! So we climbed up this rickety-ass staircase. Those stairs kind of freaked me out a little because some of the individual stairs were not so stable. It was only two or three that were bad though.

There was a great view from the roof. This is downtown Memphis, including the pyramid on the left.

This is a view of the Mississippi River looking south.

The requisite "art" shot.

As we walked away from the building I realized that my legs hurt quite a bit. I guess walking up all those stairs was a decent workout. It's been quite a while since I've been on a Stairmaster!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Tish said...

You must really love Memphis! You should move out here. Actually, I'm on the other side of Tennessee in Knoxville, but Knoxville rocks too! Once you visit, you won't want to leave! :)

8/25/2006 12:22 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Well I felt like I was walking in Memphis!!

Those were excellent pics - thanks for sharing.. your perspective on the buildings was really artistic. I'm glad you got the new camera!

8/25/2006 12:43 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

thanks for sharing shots of memphis. did you drive from tx to there? i'd really like to attend the southern books festival this year, in memphis, but.... i'm going to chicago in early oct and probably can't reasonably afford a trip there, though i could bunk down with my step-aunt....hmmmmm.

8/25/2006 3:29 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

See, I think the requisite art shot is the interior one of the stairs, but I'm prejudice. I love architecture photos and since I won't be traveling to TN anytime soon, I loved seeing yours.

8/25/2006 3:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok, I just gotta ask, where haven't you been??

8/25/2006 5:50 PM  
Blogger Red said...

I love old buildings. Your pic of the stairs is my favorite.
The buildings, including Parliament, in Ottawa are BEAUTIFUL! You should put that place on your list if you haven't been there already.

8/28/2006 3:10 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Thanks everybody!

Rebecca - I flew. I did consider driving (it's about 7 hours), but I used frequent flyer miles instead.

Barbara - in the US I haven't been to New England, Michigan, Ohio, Utah, Alaska, or Hawaii.

Red - I haven't been to Ottawa. I've only been to BC in Canada. I'll add it to the list!

8/28/2006 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home