Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Sticking It To The Man

Tonight is my chance to stick it to the man. I am participating in a market research focus group. I have done this before although it’s been a while. I was pleased to receive the call because even though I’m not destitute I feel the need to be bringing in some money from somewhere. They’re going to pay me $65 for 2 hours, which ain’t half bad. I did have to stretch the truth a shade to qualify for this though. The focus group is about watches. They asked if I shopped at Wal Mart, Target, Neiman Marcus, and Lord & Taylor. While I’m not proud to admit it, I do occasionally shop at Wal Mart (but I have cut back A LOT from several years ago. If you want to know why I hate Wal Mart read Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich). Of course I shop at Target, I told the truth about Neiman Marcus (never), and I lied about Lord & Taylor (I said that I go there occasionally). Honestly, does anyone actually shop at Lord & Taylor? I also lied that I have purchased a watch at Wal Mart in the last year (In reality I purchased my Timex watch that I use when I run seven years ago at a Wal Mart). So, from what I can tell, it seems as though this study is being done by Wal Mart about watches. I was feeling a little guilty, so today I went to Wal Mart just to check out their watch section so I could maybe answer a few questions they may ask me.

So, I’m thinking that if I want to be a real ass I will tell them: no one asked if I needed help, I couldn’t find what I was looking for, I think watches are a tool of Satan, do they have any watches that run backwards, why do they have Spongebob watches when they know he’s gay, why don’t they have a Napoleon Dynamite watch, etc. But I probably won’t. I’m not feeling very mischievous today and I once heard something about biting the hand that feeds you or somesuch.

6 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I would buy a Napleon Dynamite watch in a second! BTW, love the new profile photo.

I'm also stickin it to the man. I am playing hooky from work again but I spent the entire day working on my resume and posting it on job search sites. I like the work I do but I am SOOO underpaid and tired of it.

10/18/2005 4:26 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I have always wanted to go do the beer survey.. those things pay a lot.. but I have somewhat of a social anxiety disorder about completely new situations. What was it like?

I am not sticking it to anyone. I guess I should be.

10/18/2005 10:40 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

btw - I don't wear a watch.. which drives most people insane. And the clocks at my apartment constantly say it's "PF:oclock"

10/19/2005 10:57 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Michelle,

I think the Napoleon Dynamite watch should talk: "It's one o'clock. Gosh!" The profile photo is actually kind of freaking me out, I may change it but I haven't decided yet.

Holli,

The focus group was actually kind of fun. Trust me, if I can attend one of these things, you can.

10/19/2005 2:10 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Holli,
I love the PF O'clock thing and that you don't wear a watch.

JC,
I think the Napoleon Dynamite watch would be the best if it highlited all the things his brother says, especially the lines about training to be a cage fighter.

10/19/2005 9:38 PM  
Blogger JC said...

"It's 2 o'clock. Now that's what I'm talking about" - Kip Dynamite

10/19/2005 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home